Do any of you fine fellows like Rush?

Brian E. Balls

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Presto" was the first Rush album I had a hard time getting into. It started going downhill from there. When I picked up "Test For Echo", I listened to it once, and then again just to make sure I couldn't stand it, and I've had no desire to touch it again. Sadly, I haven't been able to bring myself to purchase another Rush album since.

Prior to "Presto", I was a huge fan. Their approach was always off center, their arrangements were interesting, and their lyrics always gave me something to ponder.

It's interesting that bands who are supposedly influenced by Rush hold no interest to me at all. Apparently they all got something totally different out of Rush's music than I did.

• Members

"Presto" was the first Rush album I had a hard time getting into. It started going downhill from there. When I picked up "Test For Echo", I listened to it once, and then again just to make sure I couldn't stand it, and I've had no desire to touch it again. Sadly, I haven't been able to bring myself to purchase another Rush album since.

Prior to "Presto", I was a huge fan. Their approach was always off center, their arrangements were interesting, and their lyrics always gave me something to ponder.

It's interesting that bands who are supposedly influenced by Rush hold no interest to me at all. Apparently they all got something totally different out of Rush's music than I did.

I could spend an evening convincing you of the delights of Rush :)

All I can suggest is that you have a listen to their latest album, 'Snakes and arrows'. You would not believe it was the product of a band of 30+ years standing :cool:

• Members

Been a Rush fan since the early to mid-80's. Tom Sawyer just blew me away when it first came out, I started dipping into the earlier(70s) Rush relics after I heard "Manhattan Project".

I've seen them twice, here in Rochester during their Roll The Bones tour in 91' and just last summer at Darien Lake during their Snakes & Arrows tour.

• Members

Does anyone have a scientific explanation why Rush fans comprise of a 99.97% male audience?

Like I said, you'll have a greater chance meeting chicks at a gay bar than at a Rush concert!

Maybe in 1981 this was true, where everyone in attendance looked like some D&D player. :D There were actually quite a few women at the show I went to last summer, including my wife who is now a Rush convert. I've noticed the female percentage increasing with each tour as the years go by (and also the old fart percentage. ;))

And yeah, to chime in on Snakes & Arrows, it is a great album indeed (that's the one which ensnared my wife incidentally. She likes it better than... *gasp*... Moving Pictures.)

• Members

Uh no, she definitely wasn't me. Because I wouldn't be caught dead at a Rush concert.
:lol:

See? Told you!

Now, if it had been a Stones show...

But no, she didn't go with me to this either. Besides the fact that I didn't know her back then, I actually went to my one and only Stones show solo. None of my friends wanted to go, and I thought, "Well, damn, I really should see this legendary band before they stop playing. They've been around since the early '60s, and it's 1989...how much longer are they gonna keep touring?" :D

• Members

Ha!

I would venture to say that I've got brains, and that is NOT my reaction to Rush. In fact, one of the many reasons I can't stand Rush is because they try so hard to be cerebral and, particularly lyrically, they're not. I've read most of the books they steal their lyrics from, and the lyrics are actually a pretty dumbed down version of it and come across to me like a teenage kid trying to impress everybody with "Look, I've read lots of books!" They just bludgeon people over the head with badly paraphrased Ayn Rand quotes and crap like that and it's deadly preachy and tiresome.

Then there's the music. Of course, same attitude of "Look ma! I can play a lot of notes real fast, and in odd time signatures too!!!111!!" Just hearing the way Neil Peart plays makes my nervous system go haywire. Passion would be about the last thing on my mind at a Rush concert... well of course, the first thing on my mind would be "Get me the hell out of here!" but I can assure you if I were there on a date, I'd be a cold fish after hearing anybody play drums like that... talk about un-sexy!
:D

Rush just seem to be one of those bands you either love or hate. But let's just say there are plenty of "cerebral types" who aren't into them.

This makes me sad :(

Archived