How to send large files

LiveMusic

• Members

I have two wav tracks, each 15 MB, to send to someone. What service? I tried Yahoo, it barfed. (I don't understand why my computer would show 15MB and then when I attach it, the file would be over 20MB.)

I tried Box.net. No dice.

Now trying yousendit.com. WHich says up to 100MB. The send page only has options which are NOT free, so I'm not sure about that one either.

• Members

I'll echo in on getting your own website if you want to upload large files. You can accomplish the upload by using an FTP client or FTP'ing the files direct. There are lossless file compression programs like APE, among others, that will let you reduce the file size for the transfer, but your recipient would need the same program to decompress the file for viewing.

• Members

Okay, thanks, I do have a site. I got the Monkey program and it seemed to work fine. I assume the recipient uses it to decompress and then he can do his audio magic. Then resend to me. He's a friend doing it for free. I like free. Just playing around for now.

• Members

Use yousendit,...

It's free,... I just did some transfers with DAHKTER.

Use your own email adress and send the file to yourself. Copy the link you get in your email and send the link to the one you want the file to have.

The options you see on yousendit are EXTRA options,.. don't select any of these.

• Members

You DO remember that the popular compression programs (.zip, .rar, etc.) all have FILE SPLITTING in them??? You can even set the size of the splits.

End user gets 6 or howevermany emails instead of 1 and downloads all the files to a folder then clicks on any of them.... the files are automatically combined and decompressed.

......that goes way back to the days of the 180k big floppy disk, kids.....

• Members

this is what bittorrent apps are good for as well, actually what they are SUPPOSED to be for legally. of course you both have to be UL/DLing at the same time.

though just using your own website via FTP to get it there and a directory for them to access to DL it through their browser is pretty damn easy and flexible. you can password protect the directory if you feel the need to as well.

Archived