embarrassing stories.....

boosh

• Members

It's the early nineties,...I'm sitting with a friend outside of a dutch bar in the middle of Amsterdam. We're drinking pints of lager and the sun is burning,..we're excited and getting drunk. This night we're going to see our heroes of that time,...A band called "House of Pain" yup,... the Jump Around guys.

A few guys pass our table and we start talking to them. Americans,.. the basketballshirts,caps and short trousers kinda guys,...tattoos and all.

We drink some beers with them and tell them we're going to see our favorite band and that we're House of Pain's biggest fans overhere in the Netherlands. Yeah they've heared of that band but can't join us that night to go see them they have other important stuff to do. They leave and we proceed drinking(and smoking our local herbs).

10 in the evening,...we're in a fullpacked Paradiso and the first band just stopped,..time for the main event,...

We hear someone shout onstage : "A big up for our greatest fans from Holland,......"

Guess who came onstage,.........

• Members

hey booshy,

That's not too embarassing, more right place, right time. Cool story.

I had a weird scene where I was driving from CT to NY on the Saw Mill Pkwy (a windy road in the Hudson Valley). I was listening to Guru Jazzamatazz, it was putting me to sleep, I almost drove off the road. I then put in a live KRS-One album. It woke me up, put a smile on my face, and I made it to the city safe and sound.

When I got to the end of the highway, I was in Manhattan. I look to my right into an SUV, and who's next to me - KRS-One. Crazy. I turned up the radio with his tape playing, he rolled down his window. We exchanged some kind words, talked about music (I was on my way at the record store, that was the purpose for my driving into the city). Wild conincidence.

• Members

Cool! I dig KRS-One,....

Another great story although not embarrassing.

This one day we're cruising around in an old Volkswagen. Loaded with beer and we're playing a Rolling Stones tape. At one time one of the guys in the car has to piss and we stop the car just outside of Amsterdam. Nothing but Factories and warehouses there.

He steps out and goes for a piss. When he opened the door he said: "You guys are gonna go deaf if you play that Stone's {censored} soo frikking loud".

We reply : "The tape is not playing weirdo...we are talking and rolling a joint. Radio is not on."

He says: "well call me a crackhead but I still hear them Stones playing Brown Sugar.",.....

We all step out and listen,...the sounds come from an abandoned huge warehouse next to the parkinglot,... we walk closer to the building,...

The Rolling Stones used an empty warehouse to rehearse for their European tour,....we had parked next to it and listened to them play live for 40 minutes,...stoned as a makrel.

• Members

Not embarrassing, but great fun. Kansas was coming to Minneapolis for a concert at the Met Sports Center. I was in the pro audio business at the time and had been working with Rob "Cubby" Colby for quite some time (since he was doing sound for a few local bands). Cubby was the FOH man for this tour. I was on the advisory committee for a local vo-tech school and called Cubby to see if I could bring the media production class (included recording technology and SR) to watch the set up of the sound system. Cubby said fine and told us how to gain access to the place. The class and I sat there watching the system get assembled with Cubby stopping by to add some dialog to the process. On one of his swings by he suggested that we could go back stage and hit the salad bar that was set up back there. About five of the students and I went back stage and helped ourselves and sat at one of the tables that had been set up back there. While we were stuffing our faces 3 or 4 other guys came in and helped themselves and sat down at the table across from us. One of the guys in the class asked one of the new arrivals what he did for the band. The response from one was "I play keyboards and sing", another, "I play guitar and sing" another "I play bass and sing". I was the hero of the day and the kids in the class sat there talking to the members of Kansas for about 20 minutes. Those who stayed to watch the PA set up were not pleased. :lol:

• Moderators

Embarrasing...

I'm in my 20's and have just finished a week stint at a club out of town. The doors are closed, the lights are up, gear's packed. We're waiting for our week's money. On the system comes Jimmy Buffet. I'm not fan... and I really wasn't then in my 20's during the 80's. I'm tired and want get paid and go party.

"God I hate this Parrot {censored} music!"

Right as I say this the owner is coming out of the back room with a large wad of cash, too much of a tan, a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and sandals with a tray of shots and a smile that's quickly turning to an expression of hurt and embarassment.

Of course not as embarrassed as I was of my big mouth.

• Members

In the early 1970's, I was sitting in the audience waiting for Martin Mull to come onstage at "Grendel's Lair" in Philadelphia, PA.

I had only heard of Martin a few months earlier and did not own any of his albums, but my girlfriend at the time was a big fan. The guy sitting next to me was raving about what a great performer Martin Mull was and how he couldn't wait for the show to start. At one point he made some remark to the effect that listening to Martin Mull was basically an orgasmic experience. I was thinking that this guy was a little strange to be so over the top with somebody he didn't know, so I just kind of ignored him.

Then the emcee came onstage and announced, "Ladies and Gentlemen, a big hand for Mr. Martin Mull!"

The guy sitting next to me stood up, said "Excuse me," walked onstage, picked up his guitar and started playing.

• Members

In the early 1970's, I was sitting in the audience waiting for Martin Mull to come onstage at "Grendel's Lair" in Philadelphia, PA.

I had only heard of Martin a few months earlier and did not own any of his albums, but my girlfriend at the time was a big fan. The guy sitting next to me was raving about what a great performer Martin Mull was and how he couldn't wait for the show to start. At one point he made some remark to the effect that listening to Martin Mull was basically an orgasmic experience. I was thinking that this guy was a little strange to be so over the top with somebody he didn't know, so I just kind of ignored him.

Then the emcee came onstage and announced, "Ladies and Gentlemen, a big hand for Mr. Martin Mull!"

The guy sitting next to me stood up, said "Excuse me," walked onstage, picked up his guitar and started playing.

Ha ha! I'll have to try that line... ;)

• Members

"God I hate this Parrot {censored} music!"

Classic story Lee,

It's funny, we all say "this song sucks!", or "he sucks" or "she has no talent", it gets interesting when that object of criticism is in the room, definitely gets uncomfortble quickly!

Especially online, a lot of the critical comments, a lot of these people would never say these kind of things to someone's face....

• Members

I actively repress all my embarrassing moments, so as far as I'm concerned, I've never been in an embarrassing situation.

I will, however, relate a story a friend told me.

He was ice skating with his girlfriend in Portland, OR, when he finds himself sitting down next to Art Alexakis of Everclear fame, who was there with his kids I think. They get to talking about music a little, and Art mentions some band they were going on tour with in the near future. My friend says, "Oh, really? I might actually go see one of your shows then..."

:(Oh {censored} face appears on my friend

• Members

Once, on a cruise ship, before about 50 people, I was performing that old chestnut "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)". I reckon nearly all of us here know that Looking Glass recording.

I'd sung it SO many times before, but this time I really listened to the very words I was singing! For the first time, really listened.

Damn, that song is sad! Ever really thought about those lyrics? The jaunty tempo and dramatic chord structure of the song kinda camouflages that fact, I think. And yes, I was a little bit tipsy... and a tiny bit BOOSH-i-fied on top of it. ;)

Anyway, guess who starts WEEPING.... in front of his audience. At the microphone. :cry::cry::cry::cry: Men aren't supposed to cry in public!!!

My audience had mixed responses.... some were very sympathetic, others mortified (for me).

Sheesh, that was embarrassing. I still get embarrassed thinking about it, and it was 15+ years ago.

Music is supposed to move people, sometimes to tears.... but good stagecraft usually decrees that it not be the performer! :o

• Moderators

Anyway, guess who starts WEEPING.... in front of his audience. At the microphone.
:cry:
:cry: Men aren't supposed to cry in public!!!

...others mortified (for me).

Oh no! Sounds like it could've happened to me. Thanks God it didn't. I get busted for welling up at the last 5 minutes of Father Knows Best reruns.

I did get choked up trading original songs with a friend. You sing yours, then I'll sing mine. Too many beers and a clear memory of who I wrote the song about and... "I'm sorry man. I can't sing anymore.":cry:

I say I say I say Brandy... you're a fine girl, what a good wife you would b....

Damn those sailors!!!

• Members

An old school chum of mine is a well known maker of high end, boutique pro audio gear, and his approach to sales is very hands on. He once asked me to go with to see Blue Oyster Cult. Afterwards, he said, he was going to try to do some business with Buck Dharma.

I've never been a hige BOC fan, but I must say they were in good form, and the crowd of 5 or 6 hundred faithful obviously dug it. Buck sure can play, and the new material they did actually sounded pretty OK, if a little Synchronicity-era Police.

Took hours and hours after the show, hanging around waiting for my friend and Buck to have their talk in the hotel bar. So I decided to drink. At one point, late in the hotel bar, I said, "I'm going to the bar; anyone need anything? " Buck asked for a Glennfidich, straight. I ordered a bud and the scotch...and didn't have nearly enough in my wallet to cover it, so I had to go back and get some money from Buck. It was pretty damn embarrassing to myself and, I found out later, to my friend.

I tried to buy Buck Dharma a drink...and failed. How rock and roll is that?

• Members

OK Booshy,

I've got a good one for you:

In looking ahead in the Studio calendar, a few of us noticed that the Studio

wasn't booked a particular weekend, so we decided to get together and lay something down ourselves. We had a lot of beer and things ended up getting pretty funny, as we started writing the most fowl lyrics we could to go with this song. It was an added treat to start mixing and typing the lyrics into the computer and watch them scroll across the screen .... what fun. Well after we were done and had to clean the place up for Monday's session, one of the guys was in charge of grabbing the floppy disc ... well.

Monday, Barbra Streisand and Phil Ramone were in the room and they put on their tape to work on for the day and loaded "OUR" floppy into the automation and hit play ... OUR filthy lyrics began scrolling across the screen to HER song !!!! Luckily Barbra and Phil got a good laugh out of it as they were rolling in the floor laughing so hard.

How's that for embarassing ???

Russ

Nashville

• Members

Not embarrassing, but great fun. Kansas was coming to Minneapolis for a concert at the Met Sports Center. I was in the pro audio business at the time and had been working with Rob "Cubby" Colby for quite some time (since he was doing sound for a few local bands). Cubby was the FOH man for this tour. I was on the advisory committee for a local vo-tech school and called Cubby to see if I could bring the media production class (included recording technology and SR) to watch the set up of the sound system. Cubby said fine and told us how to gain access to the place. The class and I sat there watching the system get assembled with Cubby stopping by to add some dialog to the process. On one of his swings by he suggested that we could go back stage and hit the salad bar that was set up back there. About five of the students and I went back stage and helped ourselves and sat at one of the tables that had been set up back there. While we were stuffing our faces 3 or 4 other guys came in and helped themselves and sat down at the table across from us. One of the guys in the class asked one of the new arrivals what he did for the band. The response from one was "I play keyboards and sing", another, "I play guitar and sing" another "I play bass and sing". I was the hero of the day and the kids in the class sat there talking to the members of Kansas for about 20 minutes. Those who stayed to watch the PA set up were not pleased.
:lol:

On the "Kansas" note...I went to a local blues jam at Blayney's here. My turn to play...got up with the usual assortment of people...the hit-and-miss sort, some really good, some, uh...well. But the drummer who got up could PLAY. Young guy. After we got done jamming, we kinda talked. I said "killer drumming, man, you gigging with anyone?" He said "Yup, Kerry Livgren's Proto-Kaw". :eek: And he was, too.

• Moderators

Buck asked for a Glennfidich, straight. I ordered a bud and the scotch...and didn't have nearly enough in my wallet to cover it, so I had to go back and get some money from Buck. It was pretty damn embarrassing to myself and, I found out later, to my friend.

I tried to buy Buck Dharma a drink...and failed. How rock and roll is that?

Well, on the other hand, if someone offers to buy me a drink (at a hotel bar too, they're often overpriced) I wouldn't normally order a single malt scotch on their dime. Seems a little rude, in a way, but maybe that's just me... or maybe it has to do with me and most of my friends not being rich, exactly.

:idk:

• Members

Oh no! Sounds like it could've happened to me. Thanks God it didn't. I get busted for welling up at the last 5 minutes of Father Knows Best reruns.

I did get choked up trading original songs with a friend. You sing yours, then I'll sing mine. Too many beers and a clear memory of who I wrote the song about and... "I'm sorry man. I can't sing anymore.":cry:

I did an accoustic show last year. My Dad was in town and I specifically worked in some of his favorites into the setlist. He had never been to any of my shows. This was his first time. And he was my inspiration for playing guitar in the first place. About a verse into "Stuff That Works" by Guy Clark, I get all choked up. My throat closes completely and tears are just running down my cheeks. I try like heck to squack out a few vocals, but my throat isn't having any of that. I just acted like I forgot the lyrics and played through the progression a few more times and went on to the next song. Apparently nobody noticed how choked up I was. And I was able to laugh it off. It was one of the best moments of my life. ;)

• Members

We played an outdoor show for Bikers Against Child Abuse; we played first, then the MC gave away some raffle stuff while the second band set up. I pulled all my gear off stage right to get out of the other band's way quickly, then I packed keys into cases, rolled cords, etc. My truck was off on stage left, it was a raised stage so I started hauling my gear below the front of the stage. I was carrying my Kurzweil in one hand and our band's sign in the other, so I held it above my head for some "advertising".

Well, the MC saw me, and started in! "Well, it looks like Puddlestone didn't get enough attention yet! Yes, let's have ONE MORE big hand for Puddlestone!!"

I thought she was being kinda snotty, but she knew her audience. 1,500 bikers just roared with laughter, and I shrunk to about 2' tall. I still had more gear to haul, but opted to take the route behind the stage, even though it was three times as far. :o

• Members

A Bobby Vee story. Bobby Vee used to play various local venues around Minneapolis on a semi regular basis (he's based out of St. Cloud, about 60 miles north of Minneapolis). I had sold him various small pieces of equipment over the years and so stopped out to see him one time when he was playing the lounge at the "Hopkins Bowl" in Hopkins Minnesota. He seemed to have a good time and those who stopped by to see him, including myself and the 4 people from where I worked who came along with me. After the show I was talking to him on stage. We were both just about a foot from the front of the stage while talking to eachother. Bobby, at the time, was about my height, my build and we both had beards. As we were talking a fellow from the audience came up to the edge of the stage. After a few seconds he gave a tug to the bottom of my pants leg. I looked down and he pushed a napkin into my hand and asked for my autograph. Bobby just stood there looking things over trying to keep a straight face. I took the napkin from this fellow and signed it "Thanks for all the support over the years.... Richard King" and handed it back to him. He thanked me, turned and left. After he turned around BV and I broke up laughing as did the four who came with me. I have no idea if the fellow framed the napkin when he returned home. :lol:

• Members

Well, on the other hand, if someone offers to buy me a drink (at a hotel bar too, they're often overpriced) I wouldn't normally order a single malt scotch on their dime. Seems a little rude, in a way, but maybe that's just me... or maybe it has to do with me and most of my friends not being rich, exactly.

:idk:

+1

Archived