Capital One..... What's in YOUR wallet?

Richard King

• Members

Well, today in the mail I received my weekly solicitation from Capital One for a credit card. I get these things at least once a week. One day not long ago I received three of them. They must have been making up for missing me a couple of times or some such thing. Anyway, my normal habit is to stuff everything they send me back into the postage paid return envelope and send it back to them. After all, that's what a "return" envelope is for isn't it? Once in a while if I have other junk mail sitting around I will stuff it into the envelope and send it to them also, figuring that since they assume I am interested in reading their "stuff" that they might be interested in reading some of my "stuff". Today was a bit different though. Earlier this evening I went shopping. I bought myself a pair of tee shirts for wearing while working on the hurricane house. This being Florida, I also bought a pair of shorts. The other item that I purchased for myself was a nice new wallet. My old one was probably well over 20 years old (it's amazing what you find in a wallet that old) and was starting to fall apart. This evening I emptied the old wallet and transfered all the "good" stuff to the new wallet and tossed the old wallet in the trash next to my desk. I then started going through my daily paperwork and mail. I came to the Capital One envelope and thought to myself, "self, these guys are always sending me this crap and on television they are always asking about the contents of my wallet". Well, tonight I figured I would answer their question. I dug the old wallet out of the trash and stuffed it in the "return" envelope. It fit like a glove. Of course, what they will find out when it arrives there is that I have nothing in my wallet, at least in THAT wallet. How many of you guys (and girls) get tired of receiving Capital One solicitations in the mail? Do you receive them as frequently as I do or am I just lucky? Are their any others that you can think of in particular that are as pesky as these guys?

• Members

This evening I emptied the old wallet and transfered all the "good" stuff to the new wallet and tossed the old wallet in the trash next to my desk. I then started going through my daily paperwork and mail. I came to the Capital One envelope and thought to myself, "self, these guys are always sending me this crap and on television they are always asking about the contents of my wallet". Well, tonight I figured I would answer their question. I dug the old wallet out of the trash and stuffed it in the "return" envelope. It fit like a glove. Of course, what they will find out when it arrives there is that I have nothing in my wallet, at least in THAT wallet.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Excellent!!

• Members

It was Discover Card for me. They kept sending stuff relentlessly, literally every week for months. At first, I just threw them away. After a while, I started scrawling "Not interested. Return to sender." Still, their mail kept coming. So I started writing "Not interested" on their return envelopes while filling it with stuff. Still, it kept coming. What seemed to stop it, though, is filling it with random objects, bits of wood, nuts and bolts, etc.

• Members

Well if you really, really want to be mean...

I took one of those "postage will be paid by addressee" envelopes. Then I got a brick and wrapped it very nicely in brown packing paper. I attached the envelpe to the outside of the brick, taping it on. I forget what inspired me to do this, but I do remember that I never heard from them again.

• CMS Author

Seems like I remember reading about a place where you could sign up for no more credit card solicitations, kind of like the Do Not Call list. But it was sufficiently complicated and sufficiently full of holes that I didn't bother. As I recall, it would stop any new companies from sending you solicitations, but it wouldn't stop those who already had contact with you.

I get phone calls at least once a month from the banks that hold the two credit cards I use, offering me new services I don't need, for free (for a couple of months) in hopes that I'll forget I've signed up after the monthly fee kicks in. I tell them not to call but it does no good. It's the price we pay for being alive.

I've heard that brick story before. None of that does any good.

• Members

I used to have a Capital One card, but after being left on hold for 2.5 hours I told them I had forgotten why I'd called and to please close my account. The guy was very upset, but I told him I couldn't do business with anyone who treated their customers so badly. Tough rocks!!

Since then they've been sending non-stop mail to me about 3x a week. I normally send them back trash of one sort or another - - orange peels, peanut shells, cigarette butts, whatever I have around.

• Members

I received another mailing from them today, but, since I have run out of old wallets... I cut a trade magazine that I receive in thirds and stuffed it in the "return" envelope and will return it to them in the mail tomorrow. I hope they will enjoy reading it. Of course they will have to tape it all back together, but, that's the only way I could get it to fit in their silly envelope. I bet it's close to two pounds. :D

• Members

The rule of thumb is to
never
open any mail with a return address from Wilmington, Delaware. Actually, if Wilmington, DE were bombed tomorrow, 97% of America's junk mail would vanish in 4 days!

And Sioux Falls, SD.

IIRC, South Dakota became the credit card capital of the world in the early 80's, when the state was desperate for jobs and investment. SD willingly and completely sold out to credit card companies, passing ripoff-enabling laws that said that CC companies that located in the state could charge their customers up to South Dakota's sky-high interest rate ceiling and did not have to follow the rate ceiling of the states that the customers actually lived in.

Delaware was the second state (again, IIRC) to pass these sleazy sorts of laws, which led to Wilmington's becoming just as elsongs described above.

http://www.motherjones.com/news/exhibit/2007/09/exhibit.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071223/ap_on_bi_ge/credit_card_crunch

• Members

You have to take into account that the offers are being sent by a direct mailer under contract to the CC company, and that your info was actually provided by yet another company that sells names and addresses to the CC companies. The CC companies all buy their "target" info from the same handful of providers, who in turn got it when you signed up for some seemingly unrelated magazine, online service or whatever else. Your personal info is up for sale, and telling the CC company to stop sending the stuff won't get you very far.

My wife and I both get bombarded with Discover offers on a weekly basis. I once had a Discover card and closed my account as soon as I got a Visa through my usual bank, but they sure do try to get me back as a customer.

Archived