Looking for software to run on XP which...

pbognar

• Members

Limits the AMOUNT of time per day AND the TIME OF DAY a specific account on the home computer can be on the computer...

I know Vista has this feature as well as a Gaming time limit, but I'm not getting Vista any time soon.

I promised my wife I would look for such software, but I figured I'd check the brain trust (Craig Anderton's Sound, Studio, and Stage) first for tips.

We already have "Safe Eyes" which limits Internet access per user (a great programs...) but we're looking for something over and above Internet access...

THANKS!!!

• Members

Seems to me I was able to do this with either XP or 2000, but don't remember how (or why... I think it had to do with keeping the kids from devoting every waking moment to computer games back when they were in Jr. High).

I'm pretty sure it's possible, but the specific path through the layers & layers of GUI objects you have to navigate to make it happen has escaped from my memory.

• Members

hmm, maybe check for terms like

"child control" or "parental control"

here's an example, but I can't vouch for it

here looks like some more general info

Thanks. Right after I posted, I did a little surfing and came up with this:

http://www.1securitycenter.com/user_pc_time_control.html

Anyone used this before?

• Members

unless the computer is just not capable of Vista, i would just get Vista for a home machine.

XP is working just fine. The only way I'd get Vista is if we got a new machine - and even then, I'd probably try to replace it with XP :lol:

• Members

Vista is more secure... i wouldnt stay with XP at this point unless i HAD to. why do you think they are releasing XP SP3, basically have to update security measures. no way i would replace a new Vista machine with XP unless you really like being vulnerable, especially in a home enviroment.

• Members

Vista is more secure... i wouldnt stay with XP at this point unless i HAD to. why do you think they are releasing XP SP3, basically have to update security measures. no way i would replace a new Vista machine with XP unless you really like being vulnerable, especially in a home enviroment.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview

List of all security updates for Windows Vista

• Members

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview

Summary

Windows XP SP3 combines all previously released performance, security, and stability updates. It also provides a limited number of new and enhanced functionalities, although it does not significantly change the Windows XP experience or bring functionality from newer versions of Windows to Windows XP. The goals of Windows XP SP3 are to:

• Members

XP

Most of what I've read lately refutes that somewhat, or at least calls it into question - basically, Vista is still a great unknown as far as security. True, not as many flaws have been reported, and it does have improved security features, but lesser market saturation and some fancy fixing of reporting numbers by MS means that the extent of flaws in Vista may not be known for quite a while.

Plus, apparently the security 'features' make it difficult to run some basic programs.

But the kicker for me is the reports that trying to install drivers can lock you completely out of Vista - the program de-authenticates and is basically rendered useless. (but that's really Microsoft piracy security, and not what we're talking about here. I've just always had huge issues with anti-piracy measures {censored}ing with legitimate users...)

• Members

Vista is more secure... i wouldnt stay with XP at this point unless i HAD to. why do you think they are releasing XP SP3, basically have to update security measures.

But they are also releasing Vista SP1.

If service packs are released to fix security flaws then your premise does not support your conclusion. :)

Because (according to you) Vista is a security risk since it needs a service pack. :D

• Members

jon, SP's arent JUST for security releases... you know that as well as i do. SP3 for XP is meant to address XP's shortcomings on security as well as combine all the updates since SP2. it wont add any new "features" though.

thats according to you, not me... you just try to twist what i said around like some fox news anchor.

there will be a SP2 for Vista im sure as well, maybe a SP3 too... who knows, i was strictly referring to XP and SP3. it certainly wont add what the OP wants to do that Vista does naturally, i was a bit suprised by it when i stumbled upon in having kids thinking how helpful that is goign to be.

Vista runs fine for home enviroments, i am even running a work production computer on Vista now and not having ANY issues with the applications i am running [adobe master suite and corel x3 and office 07.. and QB08]. now the 3rd party plugin companies arent supporting Vista yet, so i have XP machines for that work... i have 3 other computers running Vista as well. 2 running XP.

i really am not hesitant to recommend Vista in a home enviroment, a work enviroment im not upgrading my clients until next year sometime. im only playing around on my work machines with Vista but the one majoy test machine being run full time is working out well so far.

• Members

I have to say that I really enjoy Vista. I've been running it in 64-bit mode with Sonar and it works just fine, but I'd echo Alpha's reactions...it's still a bit early to adopt for 24/7 production work (especially the 64-bit version). But for a home OS, I definitely prefer it over XP. Whenever I've been working in 64-bit Vista and then go back to XP, it's always a little disappointing.

Based on the "Vista sucks" opinions I was dragged into using it kicking and screaming, but it's been a great experience for me.

Archived