Find/lock tempo to preexisting audio?

Soundhound

• Members

How do you do that? I've imported a track of someone playing guitar and singing, sounds like it was definitely done to a click. I want to add some bass, drums, keys guitars etc. How do I lock to that audio? Is there a program that helps you find out what the click is and lock to it? Some kind of sample/waveform thing?

I'm a complete newbie to this (not to music or to recording though, but might as well be for these purposes!!) I'm doing this in Gargeband 08.

thanks all!

• Members

I'm not familiar with Garage Band. I use Digital Performer.

Anyway, I suggest loading your audio track, then sitting there with a keyboard or whatever input device and tapping the tempo along with the audio. If the audio was in fact recorded to a click, you should get a pretty strong lock at some point and then you can assign the tempo to the track and have the bar lines re-align from the default tempo you started with.

• Moderators

I'd grab an 8 bar phrase and load it separately. set the start on bar one and adjust the tempo till bar 8 ends on the start of bar 9. Then load the full song and set it to the determined tempo starting at bar 1.

:thu: ...then go to bar 40 and make any small adjustment needed. Then go to the last bar and repeat.

Archived