New website FINALLY up and running

chrisgil

• Members

Christian, I am able to generate a repeatable error in Firefox 2 on XP machines.

I scroll the right flash window down and then click the "Contact" in the bottom menu. Firefox pops an error window as the contact emailer appears. Anyone else experience this?

I didn't get that in FF.

But I did have to turn on javascript for Christian's site. Since it's all Flash and doesn't offer a non-javascript loading method (HTML embed), when I first went there all I saw was a missing media placemarker. (I use the NoScript utility in FF because of the latest wave of browser hijack malware.)

And I do have to say that I hate auto-play music.

I'm almost always already listening to music and I loathe being assaulted with music or sound without asking. (No offense. Hate the sin, not the sinner, and all that.) I pretty much stopped going to MySpace for that reason (and the horrible security at that haphazardly coded site keeps me away).

Another problem with having your whole site in Flash is that your visitors can't bookmark their favorite content and search engines will, in all likelihood, not spider it.

It looks classy, though.

• Members

I can pull the error on 3 machines.

This is what vista traps:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: firefox.exe

Application Version: 1.8.20071.12718

Application Timestamp: 474cd9ce

Fault Module Name: NPSWF32.dll

Fault Module Version: 9.0.47.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 466db1d1

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0001ef9c

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.2

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0161

Additional Information 2: 73c1a3a9df08e2e78d15f29b2959ba31

Additional Information 3: 0789

Additional Information 4: 60141c3b7f7702f3c77e48c6e2a76b3d

I suspect that it is being fussy about window sizes. I am using a kvm switch so the 3 machines display at a 1440x900. (2XP and 1 Vista) The designer is probably using something larger (and can't imagine why anyone would use something smaller ;) ).

I agree with blue2blues's religious objections to Flash mostly. I am conflicted about the autoplay as well. Like most people these days, I am surfing with noscript turned on.

• Members

Don't get me wrong -- Flash is great for some things! It's turned into the online video presentation format, seems to me. It's great for designing animated content, slide shows, certain kinds of presentations, and so on.

It's just that doing a whole website with it involves some serious tradeoffs.

That's not to say that the tradeoffs can't be worthwhile. I mean, it's likely that Christian isn't concerned about people bookmarking content on his website.

Search engine spidering might be a little different, though...

I just googled "Christian Gilbart" and a lot of links come up for him (thanks to his slightly unusual last name spelling it cuts through a lot of noise) but NONE of them (on the first two pages of returns, anyhow) are for his own website but rather for Muse's Muse, various BBs, including this one, etc.

And while this version of the site may be new, it looks like the URL has been around for at least the better part of a year (a reference to it here at HC from last February shows his dot com has been around since at least then).

PS... though I object to auto-play music on GP, I thought Christian's music was very nicely done. ;)

• Members

I find the site design excellent (despite the bug that I can confirm, but it could be solved, isn't it?) and the music is great too.

I've done the same choice of a full flash site. It's viable if, like in this case and in my site too, you manage everything from a single page and you get all the contents with a single click.

The automated playback...well it's a trade-off...it can be annoying if you are listening something else, sure, but sometimes a visual experience of a well designed site is really completed by the sound, it's a whole. These are not sites to sell potatoes, music is the main object.

Really nice and tasteful site. :)

Archived