I finished my first flute

Jeff Leites

• Members

Some of you may remember that early last month, Ken - UstadKhanAli - Eleven Shadows - posted a question about wooden flutes here, and I told him that the discussion got me interested in Native American style flute making.

Well... I just finished my first one :D I thought it would just be a prototype, full of mistakes and patches, but it came out rather well:

Finished1.jpg

Finished2.jpg

The project (with sound samples) is documented here.

• Members

That is cool as hell...

I listened to the sound, and it seems like the 'attack' is soft. Is that the give in the flute, or your breath style?

I don't know enough to answer that, but I'd guess it's the way I was playing it, since I probably have less than an hour of total life time flute playing experience ;).

• Members

I don't know enough to answer that, but I'd guess it's the way I was playing it, since I probably have less than an hour of total life time flute playing experience
;)

Jeff, if you want a more "crisp" attack try tonguing the note - basically, you use your tongue as a valve to interrupt airflow - behind the tongue you can develop backpressure, then you can release that pressure by moving your tongue out of the way so the flute gets full-pressure right from the get go (caveat, for a bit you'll probably find yourself OVER-blowing while tonguing where the initial blast will be over-presure)

Archived