The dark side of booming TV sales

techristian

• Members

i still have one of those sitting in my shed... havent a clue what to do with it or the 9600 it was attached to.

i have a 36" CRT and 25" CRT TV that i am wanting to replace now. one is 13 years old, the other 9.... sadly the flat panel size i want is still quite expensive [52"+], though i did start looking at DLP, they just dont have that same appeal as LCDs.... plasma i worry too much about burn to consider.

but i keep my eye on the LCD's every week at least to see what price drops are happening.

• Members

I have a 27" CRT that I love. Everytime I go to someone's house that has a big, fuzzy, bad-color LCD HD (typically that goes in and out of the proper aspect ratio) I thank my luck stars that I bought my big ol' Panasonic for $420 way back in the early 90s. The color on my TV is so superior, so much richer than all the new LCDs. (Then again, I tend to tune out the convex-surface distortion and the glare -- I guess a half century plus of it has probably engrained the correction algorithms in my head. :D )

Still, I've yet to see an HD TV that really impressed me.

Clearly it should be possible to field such a screen. I have seen some very, very nice nice video on my 19" w/s computer LCD (which has 4 ms refresh and 4-digit contrast ratio - 1200 or maybe even 1400 to 1) and if I saw that 3 or feet across (even at the same pixel count) I think I'd be pretty impressed.

• Members

The dark side of CRTs - - typically they each have 4 lbs of lead inside.

Of course, the LCDs have arsenic, indium, gallium & other strange elements (as do all solid state devices), but it's pretty much non-toxic at least for now since it's bound into silicon crystals.

I urge everyone to find a safe way to recycle old electronics rather than sending it to the dump... I know it's only a drop in the bucket compared to the waste generated by industry, but it's the only bucket we have. And we have to live in it.

Edit: Dang it!! I need to start reading the articles before I post responses... I guess the right number is 8 lbs with the new mega-CRTs.

• Members

I was at an NAB (Nat'l Ass'n of Broadcasters) convention in Vegas a couple of years ago, and a software vendor had inadvertently placed a hi-def CRT next to an LCD screen that was showing the same video. As expected, the CRT kicked the LCD's butt, but seeing them side-by-side made the differences all the more dramatic.

• Members

I have a 27" CRT that I love. Everytime I go to someone's house that has a big, fuzzy, bad-color LCD HD
(typically that goes in and out of the proper aspect ratio)
I thank my luck stars that I bought my big ol' Panasonic for $420 way back in the early 90s. The color on my TV is
so
superior, so much richer than all the new LCDs. (Then again, I tend to tune out the convex-surface distortion and the glare -- I guess a half century plus of it has probably engrained the correction algorithms in my head.
:D
)

Still, I've yet to see an HD TV that
really
impressed me.

Ditto, blue. Whatever it is that's so thrilling about an HD LCD screen is just.... "not here yet". Maybe it will be, but it's "not here yet".

• Members

the LCD's look WAY better than any of my CRT's... consume less power too. they all seem to vary heavily though. could be the way they are setup [probably default] in the stores. but man i want a 1080p LCD in the highest diagonal and brightness/contrast ratio and lowest refresh rate. someone tried to sell me their tub HD set after they got a flat panel... i told them i would take it off their hands for free, but thats about it until i could get a flat panel. im just thinking of all the floorspace i will save.

• Members

Ditto, blue. Whatever it is that's so thrilling about an HD LCD screen is just.... "not here yet". Maybe it will be, but it's "not here yet".

I don't get it :confused: My Sony LCD HD set has a totally better picture than any SD CRT set I've ever seen. Both in detail and consistant color reproduction. There's no comparison when watching an HD broadcast.

• Members

I just got a 50" plasma to replace my a nearly 20 year old 20". I'm not running hi-def yet. I really just wanted something to watch my movies on that would feel more like a theater.

My old CRT still works fine, and I gave it to my mom, who's has a CRT that has a terrible picture. Her old CRT will likely be thrown out. Can anybody point me in the right direction to get it recycled?

• Members

I just got a 50" plasma to replace my a nearly 20 year old 20". I'm not running hi-def yet. I really just wanted something to watch my movies on that would feel more like a theater.

My old CRT still works fine, and I gave it to my mom, who's has a CRT that has a terrible picture. Her old CRT will likely be thrown out. Can anybody point me in the right direction to get it recycled?

At the county level in IL they have "solid waste agencies" supervised by the Illinois EPA. You may not have any programs that apply. The thing that you are looking for would be "household electronics recycling". In my area they have recycling events (sit in your car in a long line and breathe exhaust until you can pile it in a depressing stack on a skid), and some newer pilot programs by appointment where you can lose up to five items for $15 a stop.

• Members

I have a TV set. I hooked it it to my antenna. Sometimes I watch the news.

:D:D:D

Sounds like me!!! I'm not much of a TV watcher myself.

As far as CRT vs. LCD goes, I have found CRT monitors to be far superior in color separation and definition than LCD monitors. I bought two 19" flat panel monitors to connect to my computer for aesthetic purposes; they were both attractive and were not space hogs like the CRT monitors. However, once I began trying to do my photo editing, I noticed a HUGE difference in color quality and picture clarity.

The only advantage that I can see with the LCD or the Plasma is the compact sizes that help save on room. I'm not willing to sacrifice the quality of photo editing for the sake of fashion. The CRT'S are cumbersome, but they do the job well... they are the work horses, while the LCD'S are the show horses.

I know that computer monitors are not HDTV screens, but I would imagine the same theory applies as far as color quality and picture clarity are concerned.

• Members

gentlemen, i,ve been a tv repairman for thirty years and have access to info that some on this forum may not have,and in my and many other tv shops opinion the picture on crt tv's are far superior to lcd and most crt tv,s are more reliable. The only advantages of lcd tv's are weight and size. as far as reliability, plazma tv,s are worst of all, unless you look at pioneer elite, loewe, or fujitsu. dlp's will be a good investment in a few years when the they start using led lamps.

• Members

gentlemen, i,ve been a tv repairman for thirty years and have access to info that some on this forum may not have,and in my and many other tv shops opinion the picture on crt tv's are far superior to lcd and most crt tv,s are more reliable. The only advantages of lcd tv's are weight and size. as far as reliability, plazma tv,s are worst of all, unless you look at pioneer elite, loewe, or fujitsu. dlp's will be a good investment in a few years when the they start using led lamps.

Derrick - I'll agree that a crt has the edge over lcd, but the comments I question are related to SD CRT picture quality vs HD LCD picture quality. I say the HD LCD picture is much better. We have friends with a 50" HD set, that use cable, and won't pay for HD service. They say they just can't see the difference. To me the difference is obvious. Not only does an HD picture look better, but all the major shows are broadcast in wide screen format. I can't stand when I see an SD 4:5 picture distorted to fill the screen, it looks horrible to me.

• Members

I totally agree with you on the backlighting issue - - there is absolutely no excuse to be building displays with cold-cathode florescent lamps as they do now. Not only are they short-life, they contain mercury which leaks out if the scrapped display is crushed. The new white quantum-well LEDs are far more efficient, have a better color index, and have a life expectancy of around 20 years with proper conservative design practices.

• Members

I totally agree with you on the backlighting issue - - there is absolutely no excuse to be building displays with cold-cathode florescent lamps as they do now. Not only are they short-life, they contain mercury which leaks out if the scrapped display is crushed. The new white quantum-well LEDs are far more efficient, have a better color index, and have a life expectancy of around 20 years with proper conservative design practices.

I belive Derrick was referring to LED's replacing the short lived and very expensive incandescent projection bulbs used in DLP and LCD projection sets, not the florescent lamps used to backlight LCD flat pannel displays. The LCD flat pannels will probably be replaced by OLED displays.

• Members

Well, if anyone would have an appreciation for my home theater set up it would be the folks here. Here's my 98" front projection DLP system: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/image/87578076 My front L/R speakers are JBL 4430's. The most popular channel on the system is RAVE on Dish Network. For those not familiar with RAVE, it is a 24 channel HD music channel that has a novel idea, it runs music all day. http://www.voom.tv/ravehd.html It's slogan is "This channel should be played loud" and around here it often is.

• Members

The tragic part is that, many of these so called HiDef sets, esp. the LCD models, look worse that the CRTs. One mitigating factor is that most of the new sets will use less energy.

If I ruled the world, I would require all electronic devices to be manufactured in a modular fashion so that one can replace only the obsolete or broken components without needing to replace the rest of it.

Archived