Anyone read this book about recording?

UstadKhanAli

• Members

Golden Moment: Recording Secrets from the Pros

I came across this book while searching for something else, and it looks interesting. It has interviews with Al Schmidt and discusses quite a lot of recording techniques.

Here are some of the reviews on Amazon:

Reading this book made me feel like I had my own private interview room with accomplished engineers and producers constantly shuffling in and out. Some of the industry's top engineers share tips and advice about inexpensive gear (microphones especially), recording techniques, and mixing. Highlights include an extensive description and explanation of mic preamps by Millenia Media's John LaGrue, and an entire chapter dedicated to unconventional and interesting recording techniques (such as reshaping studio sounds with stomp boxes and complex filters). The specific gear recommendations were also very helpful for a novice like myself.

Recommended for those just starting out with recording as well as the more seasoned recordist who's looking to broaden his/her craft.

~~~

Gathers the collective knowledge of 50 seasoned pros under one cover, March 5, 2006

By Midwest Book Review (Oregon, WI USA)

Plenty of musician's books will tell you how to record - but will they make recording an art rather than a science, and will they help all kinds of musicians, from classical to rock, understand how hit recordings work? Learn from the engineering wizards themselves in The Golden Moment: Recording Secrets From The Pros, which gathers the collective knowledge of 50 seasoned pros under one cover. From new trends in high-resolution digital audio and podcasts to setting up an effective home studio and getting the most from equipment, dedicated musicians won't want to be without their very own copy of The Golden Moment: Recording Secrets From The Pros.

I personally don't need to read more "how we did this record" stories

I, OTOH, LOVE to read "how we did this record" stories, because I can put the comments into perspective by listening to the record. :) However, I do appreciate generalized techniques and tips, as well as conversations pertaining to "approaches" and not just sticking to specific techniques or discussions exclusively about specific records... :)

Ken, I have not read that one... but from the brief blurb, it kinda sounds similar to Massey's Behind The Glass, which I do own, and highly recommend if you have not read it. :)

• Members

A lot of it appears to be interviews. You can thumb through some of its virtual pages and see this. And the interviewer asks how they mic this, mic that, do this, do that., etc. So, yes, it looks a bit like Massey's book in that regard.

I also like "this is how we did it" books or articles, and especially like it when they get into some of the creative decisions and choices instead of just saying, "Oh, yeah, we booked time at this studio, stuck a 421 up to the cabinet, went through an LA-2A straight to tape." But if they talk about creative stuff and decision-making, to me it's quite interesting.

• Members

Don't get me wrong; I like and can sometimes learn from the "how we did it" recording stories, except that they invariably end up extolling the genius of some piece of gear that costs as much as my entire studio, and sometimes that piece of gear is the most unattainable "kit" of all--a big, great room.

• Members

Don't get me wrong; I like and can sometimes learn from the "how we did it" recording stories, except that they
invariably
end up extolling the genius of some piece of gear that costs as much as my entire studio, and sometimes that piece of gear is the most unattainable "kit" of all--a big, great room.

Yeah, we can probably do without that... :D

Archived