Drumagog VS Sound Replacer???

ryan7585

• Members

When my band wanted to remix a couple songs from a few years back, Drumagog worked perfectly for replacing the muddy mic'd kick drum with a punchier, crisper (but still natural-sounding) sample. That was with Digital Performer or Nuendo, so it wasn't something very familiar to me, but the results were quite good.

• Members

I have a bunch of tapes that I recorded when I first got an ADAT way back when, and I had some Radio Shack special mics to record with, so the drums sounded less than good (but I really liked the feel on the tracks.)

Drumagog saved 'em - though I wish it was better at hi-hats, it has proven invaluable.

• Members

So far, I've replaced kicks, snares, and toms (although not all at once), and it's done really well and sounded very realistic if you dial it in correctly, which is fairly easy. I don't know how it is on cymbals and stuff like that.

Not so good.

But cymbals can be a pain in a lot of ways even outside of sampling them.

• Members

That's what I thought. Maybe it'd be okay for a crash or two? I can't imagine replacing things like high-hats. What a pain in the rear that would be on so many different levels. Anyway, what I do is when the drummer records here, I have them play only their crashes in case I need those for something.

• Members

Drummagog is WAY more feature-rich. Conceptually, they're similar, but you can do a lot more with Drumagog. Not to mention it comes bundled with some very nice samples, which SR doesn't. At this point, SR is looking pretty long in the tooth, and I'd recommend going with Drumagog.

I agree. I don't know the last time Digi updated SR but it needs one bad if they want to compete with Drumagog.

• Members

Drummagog is WAY more feature-rich. Conceptually, they're similar, but you can do a lot more with Drummagog. Not to mention it comes bundled with some very nice samples, which SR doesn't. At this point, SR is looking pretty long in the tooth, and I'd recommend going with Drummagog.

Plus, Drumagog has a much cooler name. It kinda sounds like some H.P. Lovecraft penned elder god of the Cthulu mythos. Who plays drums.

• Members

I kinda wish that Drumagog (or some other program) could alter the amount of beats being played. I'm being silly...but the reason I say this is because I have a drum track that my drummer played in which the snare stuff is just waaaay too busy. Tons of ghost notes on an otherwise relaxed, chilled-out song. And of course, the snare leaks into everything, so you can't just simply replace the snare. No, the best thing to do, in my opinion, would be to re-record the song. But I have to live with it. Grrrrrrr......

I agree. I don't know the last time Digi updated SR but it needs one bad if they want to compete with Drumagog.

I can't speak regarding Digi's plans for SR, but I would be surprised if they planned on any significant updates to it. Since they purchased TL, and TL Drum Rehab is conceptually similar, but far more feature-rich than SR, I would imagine that will eventually replace SR, or that SR will be dropped from the product line. But again, that's conjecture on my part... but I don't see them needing to have two separate drum replacement tools in their product lineup; especially since one is significantly more powerful and modern than the other.

• Moderators

I finally sprung for Drumagog making an honest man out of me.

Their demo shows their nice control panel pretty well, but you can't really tell how the sounds will blend and fit with your overhead tracks with the crappy gog the Demo gives you. Techno snare? (pukes)

I have my receipt ready for the FBI in case anyone accuses me of (hypothetically) downloading it to try it before I bought it. :o

Terry D.

• Moderators

I kinda wish that Drumagog (or some other program) could alter the amount of beats being played. I'm being silly...but the reason I say this is because I have a drum track that my drummer played in which the snare stuff is just waaaay too busy. Tons of ghost notes on an otherwise relaxed, chilled-out song. And of course, the snare leaks into everything, so you can't just simply replace the snare. No, the best thing to do, in my opinion, would be to re-record the song. But I have to live with it. Grrrrrrr......

One thing I've done in that kind of situation is to create a "Drumagog ready" track that is only used for triggering Drumagog. You won't actually hear this track. Use a exp/gate to lower the ghosts so they won't trigger. Then go into the track and manually delete whatever else doesn't work for you. Then use that to trigger Drumagog.

Of course as you say, the snare is in everything, but now its level is more "tasteful". ;)

• Members

The problem is that the damn snare is in *everything*. It's in the overheads, so even if I modify the snare track, it's still dominating the overheads and room mics.

~~

Their drums blend exceedingly well with existing drum tracks. There's a lot of flexibility over tuning and how hard the drum is struck, etc., as well as choice of drums, etc.

• Moderators

The problem is that the damn snare is in *everything*. It's in the overheads, so even if I modify the snare track, it's still dominating the overheads and room mics.

~~

Their drums blend exceedingly well with existing drum tracks. There's a lot of flexibility over tuning and how hard the drum is struck, etc., as well as choice of drums, etc.

(a) Those must pretty hard "ghost notes" if they're dominating. :eek: I think if I had your problem and erasing the ghost notes from the snare track wasn't good enough, I might be tempted to try creating a "ghost only" snare track, delaying it 1ms/ft to the overhead mike distance (or lining up by eye), then inverting it and mixing a little into the overhead track. Might be enough to clean it up some. :idk:

(b) Yes, the blending is the thing with sample replacement. That's why it's nice to have Drumagog Pro with the convenient pitch and blend controls to tune the sample to the acoustic drum. I *was* using my Roland TD-10 V-Drum brain to do this in the past (which has all the necessary control) but the Roland samples just aren't very good. I'm really looking forward to cleaning up some old tunes with my spanky fresh copy of Drumagog. :thu:

Terry D.

• Moderators

The basic version of Drumagog allows you to tune and blend the sample as well.

I trusted this off their website:

Pitch Control

Drumagog's pitch control enables adjustment of the sample's pitch by +/-100%. This is a useful feature for tuning the drums to the accompanying tracks.

NOTE: The pitch control is standard in the Pro version only.

Otherwise, I'd have definitely saved $100 and got the basic version. :eek:

Terry D.

• Members

Maybe I have the Pro Version? I don't know. I bought it at NAMM last year, I think it was, and am very happy with it. I can change the pitch, no problem.

Mr Knobs, thanks for the suggestion. They are indeed very dominating ghost notes, and it's also an otherwise very spare track. I think I'm gonna try your suggestion, though. If I can simply lessen them somehow, I'd be much happier with the track.

Archived