Thriller - The worlds biggest selling album has turned 25

GoodOldVinyl

• Members

just noticed it on amazon:

Due to it's 25th anniversary there'll be a re release of the Thriller album, which'll include some new remixes and two unreleased songs from the thriller recording sessions: For All Time & Got The Hots

Amazing that the album is now 25 years old. As far as I can see on this forum are people who were involved into the thriller project back then.

I'd like to ask how far was Thriller's success imaginable back in 1982?

When was the first time to say 'this album is gonna be the best of all'?

• Members

just noticed it on amazon:

Due to it's 25th anniversary there'll be a re release of the Thriller album, which'll include some new remixes and two unreleased songs from the thriller recording sessions: For All Time & Got The Hots

Amazing that the album is now 25 years old. As far as I can see on this forum are people who were involved into the thriller project back then.

I'd like to ask how far was Thriller's success imaginable back in 1982?

When was the first time to say 'this album is gonna be the best of all'?

It'll be re-mastered and all the songs will HAV TOO MCH CMPRSN. "Beat It" will sound louder and more squashed than the latest Foo Fighters record.

• Moderators

It'll be re-mastered and all the songs will HAV TOO MCH CMPRSN. "Beat It" will sound louder and more squashed than the latest Foo Fighters record.

Beat it will be "SMUSH it." :o

By the way, isn't the Eagle's Greatest Hits the number one selling album of all time? RIAA says it is. :idk:

Terry D.

P.S. DAMN those Eagles!!! :mad::cry: ---> Top selling albums of all time (RIAA)

• Members

Not to single out the Thriller record as the last piece of great music, but in the last 25 years we have slowly succumb to accept mediocrity.

Don't blame the victim!

Thriller was just one of those moments when a fantastically talented group got together and everything aligned. It's not that audiences got bad, it's that they were that good.

If you build it, they will come. :cop::cop::cop:

• Members

Best-selling albums worldwide

Michael Jackson - Thriller

104 million

I'd like to know where this figure came from. Just Googling around a bit, I see only a couple of sources quoting this figure with absolutely nothing to back it up. There is no official tally of worldwide sales - but I can't even find anyone claiming to have tabulated various charts, etc. to come up with this number. :confused:

Meanwhile, the rest of the most popular albums have worldwide sales around 40-odd million...and this range is also often cited for Thriller...and which, personally, I find more reasonable. I mean, damn - it was a great work to be sure, but hardly so revolutionary as to sell more than 3 1/2 times more than anything else ever recorded!

• Moderators

I find this article quite fascinating. Includes commentary from the production team about the making of both the record and the film (includes Brucie quotes).

Seems to be some (huge) uncertainty as to the sales figures. I was surprised to learn from Googling around that nobody really has hard figures on album sales. :freak:

Thriller by the numbers

55m
Estimated total sales of 'Thriller'. It's the second-biggest-selling album ever, after 'Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975' by The Eagles.

Michael Jackson's age when 'Thriller' was released. It was already - counting his solo, Jackson 5 and The Jacksons work - his 19th studio album.

The number of tracks Freddie Mercury recorded with Jackson in the early 1980s. Yet, to Mercury's great regret, not one of their collaborations made it on to 'Thriller'.

The number of calendar years in which 'Thriller' was the world's biggest-selling album. It achieved this 'double', unmatched by any other record, in 1983 and 1984.

1,000 - 10,000
The estimated, one-off fee (in American dollars) that Horror film veteran Vincent Price received for his narration on the Thriller song and video. He had opted for this form of payment, rather than a percentage of all album sales.

The number of music videos better than Thriller, according to MTV's '100 Greatest Videos Ever Made' list. It beat Madonna's Vogue to top spot.

The number of Playboy spreads that actress Ola Ray had featured in, before starring as Jackson's lover in the Thriller video. According to John Landis, Jackson had no idea what Playboy was, at the time of casting.

The length of the Thriller video, in minutes. It remained the world's longest music video until 1996, when it was surpassed by another Jackson video, for Ghosts.

The number of Jackson's siblings to appear on the 'Thriller' album. Janet and LaToya sang backing vocals on 'P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)'. Guitarist Paul Jackson wasn't a relation.

The number of the album's nine songs written by Michael himself: The Girl Is Mine, Billie Jean, Beat It and Wanna Be Startin' Somethin. These were also the first four 'Thriller' tracks to be released as singles.

Alastair Smart

Additional sources: 'Rod Temperton: The Invisible Man' (courtesy Wise Buddah Productions); 'Thriller 20th Anniversary Edition' (Sony); 'Guitar Buyer', February 2007;
www.melodicrock.com
;
www.salon.com
; 'Everybody Wants Some: The Van Halen Story' (Ian Christie; John Wiley & Sons, 2007)

Terry D.

• Members

Michael said it. The 48m was 20 years ago.

Sorry, but him saying it doesn't make it true for me. The RIAA's figure is 27 million today, and he's still listed behind the Eagles. Sure, that's US only - but hell, the rest of the world bought up the other 113 million copies?

I doubt it. Maybe Michael bought a few million himself? ;)

• Members

Sorry, but him saying it doesn't make it true for me. The
RIAA's figure
is 27 million
today,
and he's still listed behind the Eagles. Sure, that's US only - but hell, the rest of the world bought up the other 113 million copies?

I doubt it. Maybe Michael bought a few million himself?
;)

We had a joke about that...

The convict was plopped down in the middle of the Sahara desert with a Pepsi bottle only and if he made it crawling on all fours to the nearest kiosk he would find only the Thriller album for sale.

• Members

So what does Bruce that viking think about the compression craze, and about having one of his greatest works squished in the loudifier?

• Members

I thought "Off the Wall" was a great record, so when "Thriller" came out I bought it the first week it was out.

When I heard "Billy Jean", I remember thinking what a great vocal performance it was. And the production on the rest of the record was not too shabby either.

You look at the cover of "Off the Wall" and wonder how things could have gone so weird for him...

• Members

Personally, I dont really see anything that really warrnants the necessity for it to be remixed and all that jazz. It's a great album as is, and really doesnt need anything new or flare added to bring in new listeners. You dont see Bowie doing Ziggy Stardust over, or Zep doing Physical Graffitti. Just seems like such a weak move to actually change something for the worse...

• Members

Personally, I dont really see anything that really warrnants the necessity for it to be remixed and all that jazz. It's a great album as is, and really doesnt need anything new or flare added to bring in new listeners. You dont see Bowie doing Ziggy Stardust over, or Zep doing Physical Graffitti. Just seems like such a weak move to actually change something for the worse...

Well, some folks in a corporate boardroom who have no clue of what music really is thought it was a good idea... lol

and they wonder why music sales are dropping.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
what vocoder was used on "PYT"?

Is "PYT" initials for one the songs on the "Thriller" LP? If so than it's either the Roland VP-330 Vocoder Plus, MkI or II? or the Bode 7702 Vocoder since that's what Michael Boddicker (Vocodist) used. :thu:

Archived