What is largest computer screen?

• Members

My bro bought a new Mac with huge screen. 22"? What is the largest screen one can get? I use PC.

Right now, I am using Open Office Impress, like Powerpoint, and I badly need to see a bunch of slides at one time onscreen but they are so small in that mode, I can hardly recognize them.

As much as I use a computer, a large screen would probably be cost-effective.

• Members

My bro bought a new Mac with huge screen. 22"? What is the largest screen one can get? I use PC.

Right now, I am using Open Office Impress, like Powerpoint, and I badly need to see a bunch of slides at one time onscreen but they are so small in that mode, I can hardly recognize them.

As much as I use a computer, a large screen would probably be cost-effective.

Since you mentioned cost-effective I will recommend this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026&ATT=24-254-026&CMP=OTC-Froogle&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Monitors+-+LCD+Flat+Panel-_-Hanns-G-_-24254026

This is a new product, 28" with an extremely high native resolution ( 1920 x 1200), and best of all it is very cost effective... at $550 it's a real bargain.

It is very big, and if you go bigger with a TV-intended monitor you will lose desktop real estate via resolution. You could buy a 70" TV monitor and you still wouldn't be able to fit any more on the screen, because they have low resolution. You would just end up with a giant picture of a low resolution desktop.

I own this monitor and I would recommend it, especially as a cost-effective product (cost-effectiveness is the #1 thing I look for in what I buy.)

• Members

I have a 22" monitor, my dad has a 24". Both of us use PC's.

Keep in mind that beyond a certain size you'll have to back up from the monitor a fair bit; it'll strain your eyes to look at a huge monitor from 2 feet away on your desktop. Plus, you don't gain any screen real estate beyond a certain point as others have mentioned. If you use a big screen TV as a monitor, which you can with most of them, that'll make the text bigger at higher resolutions but you'll have to back up from the TV so you're further away. It may still be easier on your eyes though, you can try it.

• Members

What abt running dual? maybe tha would help ya with your real-estate problem

There are also "screen magnifier" apps out there for sight impaired people,etc that allow you to conveniently magnify portions of the display

That might be just the thing for that sort of app - hmm, not really that different than trad layout with a magnifier on the ole light table now that I think abt it

• Members

Well, I could give you a 20ft screen projection but it's gonna cost you and you'll need a space big enough for a 20ft screen. ;) We can go bigger, too, if you like. Been doing this on a regular basis for about a dozen years. The difference now is they're brighter, better resolution and easier to setup.

But seriously, outside the ridiculous of using an LCD tv with computer interface there are plenty between 20" and 24" available, and if you use Mac and want to spend a fortune there's always the Cinema displays. I'm not a Mac guy but they really are amazing monitors!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have a question. I have 8 monitors, all 17", 4 in a row on top of 4 in a row.

I'd like to replace 4 of them with one large screen, like a 46" LCD or plasma TV. But, I don't know if the resolution of the 46" will be sufficient. I sit 24" from the screens.

I know how to attach a bigscreen to a computer through a DVI. I have a 60" Samsung HDTV in my family room. It is hooked up both to the cable/tv, and also to a PC. I can use the PC with the 60" as the monitor. That works fine, but I'm sitting 15' away, and am using the whole 60" for one window.

That's different than what I want to do at my desk. Here at my desk, I'm sitting 24" away. If I put a 46" monitor to replace 4 of the 17" monitors, I'll still have two or 3 windows open on the 46". It will be the same as with the 4 17" monitors, but I'll have a bit more screen real estate and no bezels breaking up the screens. Right now, I have Word docs which go up and down across 2 screens, so there are two bezels (monitor frames) in the middle of the document. The 46" wouldn't have that problem.

My question is whether the 46" will be high enough resolution, assuming it is 1080 (which is 1920x1080 resolution, I understand).

If so, then I will put a 46" in the middle to replace the 4 center monitors. Then, the 4 side monitors, I'll replace with four vertical 30" monitors, two on each side of the 46". Each set of two 30" monitors will be at a 45 degree angle to the 46" so they surround me.

If you have a chance to respond, I'd sure appreciate it.

• Members

If you work for NASA I think I should get some government $ for replying :p

You can just add up the resolution of the existing monitors to figure out what you would gain/lose. 1080 vertical is going to be less vertical real estate than almost any combination of 2 monitors on top of each other.

I think there are some methods of rotating a display 90 degrees... there's some food for thought for mission control.

Archived