Has anybody invented digital pickups?

seahorse

• Members

Instead of picking up string vibration with wire-around-magnets has anybody come up with a pickup that could detect the vibration with light? I got this idea from the Planet Waves strobe tuner. :D

It seemed like it might get a truer signal path for digital recording.

:confused:

• Members

They have existed for quite awhile. In my opinion they're nowhere near perfect, and have some inherent problems that don't make them a feasible replacement for magnetic-based pickups.

http://www.lightwave-systems.com/

Lightwave uses IR sensors for the task. What I find is that they're devoid of personality. I like guitar sounds with balls, and the Lightwave pickups are devoid of testicular fortitude.

Lightwave uses IR sensors for the task. What I find is that they're devoid of personality. I like guitar sounds with balls, and the Lightwave pickups are devoid of testicular fortitude.

Indeed.

Unless they start adding "modeling" -that is, sensing the string vibrations optically and then simulating -modeling- the sound of other famous pickups-, the nature of the sound they can generate is plain and sterile.

That may be good for some, and terrible for others.

• Members

I had an idea several years ago to use a fiber-optic core inside each guitar string, and use LEDs (or lasers) at one end to drive them, then have photo-diodes in the bridge to pick up the sound. Probably isn't too practical tho.

Not necessarily for digital output - I'd rather have control over the A/D type. (An A/D is requisite - - after all, the sound IS analog...)

• Members

Honestly, this stuff goes back to the late '80s/early '90s, when people first started messing with it. The result has been the same each time: guitarists prefer meaty tone over bells and whistles, and the pickup is your transducer (like a mic is to a singer)... the wrong one will really screw you up.

• CMS Author

Instead of picking up string vibration with wire-around-magnets has anybody come up with a pickup that could detect the vibration with light?

There was a MIDI guitar that worked like that. It was frightfully expensive, difficult to set up, and didn't last very long. Being a MIDI system, it didin't change the audio output of the pickup, only what you could synthesize once you figured out what note the synth should play.

Anyway, light is analog. There are some strain gauges that have direct binary output, but I suspect not sufficient resolution to determine the period of a vibrating string without a lot of samples to average.

Besides, guitar players don't like a 'pure' signal, they like something that sounds like a guitar.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't see how pickups could ever be digital. Strings do not move in a fashion that would allow a laser to pick up binary information, it would still be picking up analog information. It would have to be changed from analog into digital info in the same way a pickup for a guitar synth does.

It wouldn't be like a CD, where the laser is reading binary information. Strings don't move in binary.

Archived