Melodyne : "Direct Note Access"

Cry Logic

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AT LAST I can realize my dream of transforming contrapuntal lines within Glen Gould's recordings of Johann Sebastian Bach's Partitas into melody lines from The Sound of Music! :idea::cool::thu:

;):p

Okay -- if it really works -- it'll be quite an impressive accomplishment.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

AT LAST
I can realize my dream of transforming contrapuntal lines within Glen Gould's recordings of Johann Sebastian Bach's Partitas into melody lines from
The Sound of Music
!

Bizarre - just yesterday I was joking on a mailing list that my piano was so out of tune that you could throw sliced baloney inside and it would probably improve... A friend replied with:

"I have been channeling Glenn Gould, the eccentric

Canadian pianist, and he would like to record the Bach

2 and 3-part Inventions and Sinfonias on your piano

with the baloney in there."

2 Glenn Gould references inside of a day or so! Weirder still, I replied to his message with a link to the Melodyne video! This thread is like weird full circle coincidence of weirdness or something!

• Members

AT LAST
I can realize my dream of transforming contrapuntal lines within Glen Gould's recordings of Johann Sebastian Bach's Partitas into melody lines from
The Sound of Music
!
:idea::cool::thu:

;):p

Okay -- if it really works -- it'll be quite an impressive accomplishment.

Best,

Geoff

I think Geoff and I may be on pages not too far off, here.

On the one hand, to the extent they accomplish their goals (and I haven't seen the video but we all know video doesn't lie... oh wait) it's a pretty amazing technical feat.

But so was on-the-fly pitch correction.

And look what that's done for the state of pop music production today... :rolleyes:

• Members

Yeah, technical achievement and musical achievement are two separate issues.

If tools are used musically, it can be magical; but often, they're overused or used incorrectly, and the result undermines the song.

In this case, I doubt this new feature's use will be as prominent as a mechanically tuned lead vocal or an over-compressed mix, so I doubt its misuse will as greatly weaken a track; but time will tell.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I see this as an educational tool as well.. Imagine all these solo open tuning guitar tunes that you may want to figure out.. By ear, it can very difficult, whereas with this, you can come up with a midi file that then you can convert to notation and actually learn to play notes, not what you thinnk you hear... The same goes for solo piano pieces that there is no score for...

• Members

...(and I haven't seen the video but we all know video doesn't lie... oh wait) it's a pretty amazing technical feat.

You really should watch the video. It has it's "Holy @#$!" moments.:thu:

This is the year's big breakthrough in DSP. It's impact will reverberate forever.

• Moderators

This is the year's big breakthrough in DSP. It's impact will reverberate forever.

Fire.

The wheel.

The concept of "zero."

These reverberate forever.

A new version of autotune that will enable even {censored}tier players to make records, not so much.

MG

• Members

"...My first thought was that people who rely on loops would use this to freshen and revoice their loops..."

That was my 1st thought as well.

For people who use loops this will

revolutionise the way they work.

Now we'll be able to adjust loops to fit

the tune exactly without the usual

compromise.

You don't always know how a new technology will be applied.

My first thought was that people who rely on loops would use this to freshen and revoice their loops.

My first thought was that, if it really does work, then it should be used for good, not for evil - for example, to finally put the debates over the opening chord of the Beatles "A Hard Day's Night" to rest once and for all. ;)

• Members

Guys, check out the Frankfurt videos I'm posting from the show. I saw it in action, in real-time, it's impressive as hell. I'll get into the ramifications later, but I'm getting a pretty good understanding of what it can and cannot do (much of the former, not much of the latter but there are some limitations).

For example, if you have unison strings of a 12-string that are out of tune, you probably can't fix that. But if the octave strings are out of tune, you probably can.

• Members

From watching the video, it's clear their only remaining challenge will be to take a spoken-word audio track and have it translate between German and English while remaining in sync.

Still, even all that wonderful technology can't make the narrator pronounce the word "MIDI" properly :)

• Members

I wonder if it would fix a distorted guitar track with a guitar that has bad intonation, dirty strings or just an out of tune track. How many of us nailed that take and other then the above, it's perfect? As I use melodyne now for just vox, this would make a perfectly tuned mix. Hmmm what about how some sessions the guitar or keys player just has to record that track full of delay and reverb, wonder if it'll tune that as well?

So some day we'll be able to put this plug on the master buss and re-tune everything at the same time so the song is perfectly in pitch! :rolleyes:

Ya I'll update

Archived