Are you a Ginger or Mary Ann man?

• Members

There was an episode where, IIRC Mary Ann, gets (brace for a shock) hit on the head with a coconut and becomes convinced she is (and should dress and act like) Ginger

now THAT's the Mary Ann *I* fell in love with (so I like my women like I like my wine...cheap and kind of sweet, yet with a hint of tart)

• Members

There was an episode where, IIRC Mary Ann, gets (brace for a shock) hit on the head with a coconut and becomes convinced she is (and should dress and act like) Ginger

now THAT's the Mary Ann *I* fell in love with (so I like my women like I like my wine...cheap and kind of sweet, yet with a hint of tart)

Yeah- I gotta admit- that made for at least a couple pleasant dreams I had in High School!

Speaking of coconuts, I'm just surprised that there were relatively few coconut/skull-related incidents, or at least coconut-related deaths on the island...

• Members

I'm sort of a Mrs Howell.

She played the same basic part in some late 30s/early 40s movies -- which is kind of odd when you think about it, she couldn't have been much over 35 then... ditsy matron.

Wait... did I just essentially call myself a ditsy matron?

Judas freakin preist.

• Members

When I was a kid -- and the show wasn't in reruns yet -- I liked Mary Ann. I figured I'd never be able to get a glamorous gal like Ginger. Of course. I recognized that they'd designed it that way. I was big on analyzing all the popular media I consumed voraciously. I was big fun to watch TV with. I counted bullets, kept score on continuity mistakes, looked for boom mics in frames, cameras in mirrors, etc. The phrase, "Just shut up and watch the movie," was ingrained on me at an early age and repeated often by every pal and GF along the way.

• Members

Yet somehow, despite numerous efforts, Ginger never managed to get ANY of the guys on that island.....

When I was a kid -- and the show wasn't in reruns yet -- I liked Mary Ann. I figured I'd never be able to get a glamorous gal like Ginger.

As for me, I'd take the cute hottie over the glamour queen every time. High-maintenance women are a major PITA.

• Moderators

Sally Field was always cute, and she has also aged well - heck, she still looks like Gidget.

Must be drinking the same water Dick Clark drank.
;)

Plus... I went to Catholic School in the 60s. We had these old hag nuns as teachers, then all of a sudden, the young, hip, almost hippy nuns with their acoustic guitars came on the scene.

Fantasy city for me between the ages of 7 and 11. So now my teachers were young, cute nuns with skirts to their knees! And they played Kingston Trio tunes! The Flying Nun was just a continuation of the fantasy.

How about young Marlo Thomas as... That Girl!!

• Members

Yet somehow, despite numerous efforts, Ginger never managed to
get
ANY of the guys on that island.....

As for me, I'd take the cute hottie over the glamour queen every time. High-maintenance women are a major PITA.

Well, Gilligan was bunked up with the Captain... I guess that only left the Professor, who was always busy building radios out of coconuts.

• Members

could be Barbara Eden's identical twin - and I have the worst crush. She is just the nicest person and very unassuming. She brings me food all the time, takes my daughter everywhere ...

if he husband wasn;t such a decent guy .... :rolleyes:

• Members

Me, I used to have a crush on the luscious Joanna Cameron, who played "Isis" on the Saturday morning live action show (based upon a DC Comics character). It ran from about 1974--1977. She really was a goddess. Dark and super-smart, a gal of few words. :thu:

Take a look here:

JCFence.jpg

• Members

Well, Gilligan was bunked up with the Captain... I guess that only left the Professor, who was always busy building radios out of coconuts.

you bring up a very important point we may be overlooking - given the other residents on the island...why does it have to be XOR???

I say both, maybe even a little Gilligan action every second Tuesday...I mean c'mon, in such a closed environment a guy might want some variety

• Members

"Something about Mary" Ann that gives you the impression you could be yourself where as with Ginger, she just seemed like too much work to me.

It was schematic. The nurturing girl next door. The (presumably) high performance but high maintenance glamor girl. And then the professor, a good looking guy but oblivious to either of their charms for the most part.

It was sort of an extension of Sartre's No Exit, if you think about it.

And, you now, given the requirements, that sort of carefully calibrated equilibrium helped sustain the immutability of the situation on G's Island.

When the precept is violated in that kind of series by something fundamentally changing the space-time continuum of eternal re-runnability -- like the new (and need I say, adorable) puppy that Alice and Ralph get in one episode of the Honeymooners (which almost goes to the pound, only to be saved by Ralph's last minute bonding with the animal and the realization that the dog might be put down) but that, come the next week (and all subsequent weeks) is nowhere to be seen. That still bothers me and the episode's nearly six decades old.

• Members

You must have retro-nightmares over the Odd Couple then. The same guy who once said goodbye to the talking bra was also the minister at the Wee Kirk of Yonkers; Gloria's maiden name in one eposide was Shaefer but in another it was Fleener (was she related to Mildred?).... Oscar was already supposedly divorced for years when Felix moved in, yet in one episode both married couples break up on the same tropical island trip. (Mango anyone?)

The creators did not view those progams as ongoing series but as independent entertainments. Continuity had no relevance. It's only in retrospect, as such programs became venerated institutions, that anyone considered continuity (or the lack thereof).

When the precept is violated in that kind of series by something fundamentally changing the space-time continuum of eternal re-runnability -- like the new (and need I say, adorable) puppy that Alice and Ralph get in one episode of the Honeymooners (which almost goes to the pound, only to be saved by Ralph's last minute bonding with the animal and the realization that the dog might be put down) but that, come the next week (and all subsequent weeks) is nowhere to be seen. That still bothers me and the episode's nearly six decades old.

• Members

You must have retro-nightmares over the Odd Couple then. The same guy who once said goodbye to the talking bra was also the minister at the Wee Kirk of Yonkers; Gloria's maiden name in one eposide was Shaefer but in another it was Fleener (was she related to Mildred?).... Oscar was already supposedly divorced for years when Felix moved in, yet in one episode both married couples break up on the same tropical island trip. (Mango anyone?)

The creators did not view those progams as
ongoing series
but as independent entertainments. Continuity had no relevance. It's only in retrospect, as such programs became venerated institutions, that anyone considered continuity (or the lack thereof).

Liked the movie. Never really bonded with the TV show even though I though it was very well cast. Still, it fundamentally changed the dynamic of the show when the Felix (or is it Oscar? -- the fussy one) character was played as a deeply closeted gay man (as Tony Randall has said he intentionally played him).

The Felix in the movie (never saw or read the play) seems clearly to be straight -- at least in his aspirations and his consuming love for his ex-wife. I don't think it's the only way to play it, of course, and TV shows often have to substantially mutate the premise they've adopted from movies, plays and books.

Anyhow... by now I'm inured to the kind of series-character-situation continuity issues I cited above.

You see, for the last 19 or so years, I've been a loyal Law & Order fan.

And that is ONE show where the requirement of having seen at least a single episode of the series or having the slightest understanding the first, most basic things about police or courtroom procedure went out the window a long, damn time ago...

It is utterly, horridly sloppy with regards consistency of character, character politics, etc. Not to mention accurate portrayal of the milieu it's set in.

But, dang it, it's the closest thing to the old Perry Mason series we've got... ;)

• Members

It's kinda weird, as I understand it - Schwartz was trying to make GI a little microcosm, a platform for social commentary (how well he succeeded...I leave that to the viewer)

I mean the SS Minow wasn't named for the fish...it was named after the FCC chair who proclaimed television a "vast wasteland"

• Members

Ah! Nice detail.

Yeah... I was so hopeful going into GI... I'd loved the original Maynard G. Krebs character in Dobie Gillis (when he listened, by his own words, to "Bird" and "Diz" -- not so much after they dumbed him down to make him less intimidating -- since he'd originally been much sharper and better read than Dobie, so was no doubt intimidating to the Eisenhower era button down teens watching the show. Later in the show, the Maynard character was simperingly stupid and completely unaware -- basically Gilligan. But for a short time, he was actually pretty cool.)

Archived