Which External DVD Burner should I buy?

audioicon

• Members

I bought a Samsung DVD Burner but was also looking at the Sony DVD burner.

I have including the link to these two burners below.

Has anyone used either of these burners? Can you tell me which one is better.

Both are made in Indonesia, except the power cable for the Sony Burner is made in China.

Also the Samsung Burner has lightscribe which I really dont care about.

Bottom line, which of these burners will last longer and is a better technology.

Here are the links to the two burners.

1. http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computersperipherals&type=opticaldiscdrives&subtype=dvdwriter&model_cd=SE-S184M/AMBN

2. http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665200476

Have you used any of these?

Also what would you consider better blank DVD+R DL Disc? Are there better blank media?

Thanks, AI

• Members

I bought a Samsung DVD Burner but was also looking at the Sony DVD burner.

Bottom line, which of these burners will last longer and is a better technology.

Also what would you consider better blank DVD+R DL Disc? Are there better blank media?

The SONY DVD ReWritable are better then any other brand. For example all SONY named:

DVD

• Members

Angelo,

I'm pretty sure that if that was the case for a particular consumer-grade DVD writer, they wouldn't be in business very long :D :D :D . Unfortunately the same holds true for big name(audio) CD burners, which can work fine on 99 different players, but on number 100 it craps out. Go figure :thu: .

Best, Paul

• Members

I guess we do not talk about the same. We produce and author DVD masters here since 2002.

It's no problem for any DVD-ROM or DVD ReWritable to read pressed DVD's.

The quality of burned DVD depends on the media and the burner.

Delivering the master to the pressing plant is uncritical because the master gets certified first. If anything is below the specification they return the master.

When a DVD ReWritable or DVD-ROM shows problems, we disassemble them. We have dozens of DVD drives with reading problems in the shelf.

The first DVD-ROM and combi drives delivered on all Mac's couldn't read selfburned DVD's, they had to be exchanged on the cost of the owners.

The staple of DVD's clients returned was so big one day, that I decided to test circa 35 different DVD-Player. There where only two brands which here capable to read all critical selfburned DVD's without any problem.

When clients want to use selfburned DVD's, for example at industrial fair, our nerves are regularly blank until we are sure everything works.

• Members

I've had no problems with external drives from major names like Plextor, Lacie and Iomega. The cheap internal drives still give me occasional problems with what type of media I use. Verbatim had done better for me overall than any other brand. I have a few DVD burners that refuse to write to TDK. Two months ago I lost use of an internal Samsung DVD/DL burner when Verbatium changed their media. The Verbatium DVD+R DL 20 packs suddenly started arriving in a package with a new color scheme and I wonder if they now come from a different factory.

For the most part, burning is more of an issue for me than reading when choosing the brand of media. In my tests over the past year, if it burns in a drive it will usually read in others. I always check my written DVD's in a second computer with a different drive, and then put them in a standard DVD player connected to my television.

Archived