How do 'You' make Coconut rice?

halljams

• Members

Mine is to use 1 cup "Rooster" brand gold rice, one can"Aroy-D" Coconut milk and a half can water, cook in rice maker then smuuuther in Kikoman soy sauce!

Jesus, my god that {censored} is delicious!

And when you open the Aroy-D just take a spoon and eat that thick pastey coconut like ice cream! That's livin!

• Members

I guess the trick is finding that AROY-D COCONUT MILK. I'm guessing that it's not reallly coconut milk, per se--- the semi-watery liquid that spills forth from a freshly broken coconut--- rather it's the thick, white, smooth sweetened stuff they make proper pina coladas out of?

I can't imagine what happens when that sweetened rice mixture gets salted by a megadose of soy sauce, though.... It must be an acquired taste. Something they do in Thailand or the Philippines, maybe, like those fully-developed duck embryos in a shell?

But then, here in South Texas, it's a Mexican thing to add lime juice and hot red chile powder to a variety of things, like mango, papaya, watermelon, etc.

• Members

I guess the trick is finding that
AROY-D COCONUT MILK
. I'm guessing that it's not reallly coconut
milk
, per se--- the semi-watery liquid that spills forth from a freshly broken coconut--- rather it's the thick, white, smooth sweetened stuff they make proper
pina coladas
out of?

That's pretty much straight up saturated fat. That's why it tastes so good :0

Ever try Puerto Rican eggnog? If you want to overdose on coconut fat give that a shot... Between the massive dose of fat and the alcohol poisoning I was sick for three days!

• Members

I guess the trick is finding that
AROY-D COCONUT MILK
. I'm guessing that it's not reallly coconut
milk
, per se--- the semi-watery liquid that spills forth from a freshly broken coconut--- rather it's the thick, white, smooth sweetened stuff they make proper
pina coladas
out of?

It's in between the two. What you call coconut milk is often called coconut water. Coconut milk (Chao Koh is a great brand) is made by pureeing the coconut meat in the coconut water and then pressing all the liquid out. Once you mix the fat in with it (that thick, creamy deliciousness is coconut oil -- pure saturated fat), it's still relatively thin. Coconut cream (the thicker pina colada stuff) is made by removing some of the water from the coconut milk and adding sugar.

moreyouknow1mv7.jpg

• Moderators

The "Coconut Milk" you find in Asian markets or even the international section of your regular market. That's the stuff you make Ton Gah Kai out of. To use it for rice, I just dilute it so it's 3/4 strength, in other words, pour off 1/4 and top off with water. Use the same amount of liquid your rice directions call for. Usually 2 to 1 liquid to rice. Then make your rice. But instead of just rice, put in a ton of chopped mushrooms and green onions, then cook the rice with the shrooms and onions.

Stir fry some chicken and snow peas in soy sauce, peanut oil and chopped ginger. Top the rice with your scalding hot chicken and peas.

Hot Damn!!!

• Members

But instead of just rice, put in a ton of chopped mushrooms and green onions, then cook the rice with the shrooms and onions.

Stir fry some chicken and snow peas in soy sauce, peanut oil and chopped ginger. Top the rice with your scalding hot chicken and peas.

Hot Damn!!!

Nice!

• Members

I make my stir fry with coconut oil and redwine vinegar and soysauce. I never tried coconut milk in rice thing.

You know what i am doing on Saturday this weekend?

Getting up, eating bacon, and going back to bed!

• Members

The "Coconut Milk" you find in Asian markets or even the international section of your regular market. That's the stuff you make Ton Gah Kai out of. To use it for rice, I just dilute it so it's 3/4 strength, in other words, pour off 1/4 and top off with water. Use the same amount of liquid your rice directions call for. Usually 2 to 1 liquid to rice. Then make your rice. But instead of just rice, put in a ton of chopped mushrooms and green onions, then cook the rice with the shrooms and onions.

Hot Damn!!!

wow, great food description lee, sounds great...

• Members

"puto sikwate"

thats what we call our coconut rice "puto" and hot cocoa "sikwate" eaten usually for early breakfast or night-time snack.

We use sticky rice plus coconut "milk" add ginger and a pinch of salt and cook.

The sikwate is the native cocoa extracted from the cacao fruit, and not your regular canned cocoa. You buy then in dollar size tablets and boil in water,add sugar as you like.

puto sikwate usually served in banana leaf and a mug

• Members

"puto sikwate"

thats what we call our coconut rice "puto" and hot cocoa "sikwate" eaten usually for early breakfast or night-time snack.

We use sticky rice plus coconut "milk" add ginger and a pinch of salt and cook.

The sikwate is the native cocoa extracted from the cacao fruit, and not your regular canned cocoa. You buy then in dollar size tablets and boil in water,add sugar as you like.

puto sikwate usually served in banana leaf and a mug

Mm-mm-mm! Sounds good, joel. Now do you eat those fully-formed duck embryos in their shells, too?

Balut

Archived