What are "waterfall keys" ?

• Members

I just got my new SWEETWATER catalog in the mail today.

One page that particularly interested me were the new organ keyboards designed to sound ponderous and rich like an old HAMMOND B3, but be lightweight in actual mass (obviously producing their sound not with real reeds or pipes or tubes, just soldered green things.)

Several of the organs boast "waterfall keys", but they don't explain what those are...

Enlighten me? (....and i'm supposed to be a keyboardist, too!)

Also, have you heard some of these new Hammond and Korg lightweight performance organs? Do they sound as cool as a real B3? I got to play a real B3 only once... and I swear, when you flip on the switch, the bellows draw a big, swooshing breath and the Leslie starts spinning.... you really feel like you're playing a living creature! It's amazing. I played the ascending bass riff to "Green-Eyed Lady" by Sugarloaf....

"buh-doh-doh-doh-doh-doh-DOH... WACK! WOW!"

Terribly groovy it was! :phil::phil::phil:

• Members

It IS a beautiful thing, ain't it.... when I bought my house it HAD TO have a full basement. Because it needed to be able to accommodate a full studio - and that studio needed space for a Hammond console! I've owned two: a CV which spit fire, and my current A100. The CV was such an awesome rock organ that I almost chose to keep it and forego the A100....

Terribly groovy it was! :phil::phil::phil:

Anyway, the new 'clonewheels' are usually good enough for gigging purposes. Unless you're doing a prog or jazz show, in which case definitely haul out the monster :D

• Members

Ahh, the "palm slide." I've never really mastered it...in fact, I usually use the classical-style "fingernail drag," (thumb for descending, middle finger for ascending,) since I was raised a piano player. So on those occasions when I'm on a B-3, I end up getting the tops of my fingers bloodied...'Cuz ya can't really wail on a B-3 without a heapin' helpin' o' them greasy slides!

Archived