sweetwater "virtual frontman": very funny...

• Members

Well... with all due respect to the guys at SW, variations on that joke have been kicking around for a few years.

And they kind of need to study their timing... the give it all away in the very first line (120 V)... I mean... the one day of the year you can wait to telegraph the ending of your joke to the last paragraph of your press release (if at all) and they chicken out...

But, hey, it's the spirit that counts. :D

• Members

After receiving that press release, I immediately received the following:

For Immediate Release

April 1, 2008

GIBSON SUES SWEETWATER OVER VIRTUAL FRONTMAN PLUG-IN

Gibson claims invention of Wayne Newton over 50 years ago invalidates patent

(Nashville, TN) - Gibson Guitars Inc. has filed suit against Sweetwater, Chuck Surack, Mitch Gallagher, and most of the state of Indiana (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sweetwater Inc.) claiming that Gibson's invention of Wayne Newton over 50 years ago marked the first virtual frontman, and states that Gibson was awarded patent #1,228,775 for Mr. Newton.

"Admittedly, it was an experiment in creating life that went horribly wrong," commented William Newton, counsel for Gibson. "However, we couldn't help but notice that whenever he opened his mouth, people laughed, and we thought that perhaps he had a future in entertainment. The proof is that the Wayne Newton model of a virtual frontman has had a long, and frankly, undeserved career; but there is no denying that Gibson came up with the concept first."

Chuck Surack, Grand Poobah and Exalted High Saxophonist of Sweetwater, has filed a counter-suit claiming that by unleashing Newton on the world, and not admitting their complicity until now, Gibson has lost all claims to the patent. "If you don't protect an invention or trademark, you lose it under the 'Nyah-Nyah, Use It or Lose It!' ruling made by the Supreme Court under Chief Justice Diana Ross in 1972. We believe Gibson's claims are spurious, but even if they aren't, 'spurious' is a really cool-sounding word that we like to use as much as possible."

Mitch Gallagher, mayor of Indianapolis, commented that "Frankly, if I were Gibson, I wouldn't admit to inventing Wayne Newton...although it is reassuring to the rest of the human race that he is indeed not a part of the same species, which many of us had suspected even prior to Gibson's announcement."

--30--

• Members

After receiving
that
press release, I immediately received the following:

For Immediate Release

April 1, 2008

GIBSON SUES SWEETWATER OVER VIRTUAL FRONTMAN PLUG-IN

Gibson claims invention of Wayne Newton over 50 years ago invalidates patent

(Nashville, TN) - Gibson Guitars Inc. has filed suit against Sweetwater, Chuck Surack, Mitch Gallagher, and most of the state of Indiana (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sweetwater Inc.) claiming that Gibson's invention of Wayne Newton over 50 years ago marked the first virtual frontman, and states that Gibson was awarded patent #1,228,775 for Mr. Newton.

"Admittedly, it was an experiment in creating life that went horribly wrong," commented William Newton, counsel for Gibson. "However, we couldn't help but notice that whenever he opened his mouth, people laughed, and we thought that perhaps he had a future in entertainment. The proof is that the Wayne Newton model of a virtual frontman has had a long, and frankly, undeserved career; but there is no denying that Gibson came up with the concept first."

Chuck Surack, Grand Poobah and Exalted High Saxophonist of Sweetwater, has filed a counter-suit claiming that by unleashing Newton on the world, and not admitting their complicity until now, Gibson has lost all claims to the patent. "If you don't protect an invention or trademark, you lose it under the 'Nyah-Nyah, Use It or Lose It!' ruling made by the Supreme Court under Chief Justice Diana Ross in 1972. We believe Gibson's claims are spurious, but even if they aren't, 'spurious' is a really cool-sounding word that we like to use as much as possible."

Mitch Gallagher, mayor of Indianapolis, commented that "Frankly, if I were Gibson, I wouldn't admit to inventing Wayne Newton...although it is reassuring to the rest of the human race that he is indeed not a part of the same species, which many of us had suspected even prior to Gibson's announcement."

--30--

Chuck is traveling, but he feels that it is important that the public understand the implications and ramifications of this, and that Sweetwater's position be completely explained. So, I'm posting on his behalf:

"No comment."

• Members

Why does this seem more plausible than the joke would have you believe?
:D

I think Mitch would make an excellent mayor of Indy.
:thu:

Hmmmm...might not be a bad gig. Would I have to relocate? Will everyone refer to me as "His Holiness"?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I read about this in ProSound yesterday...

Bit question, coming from someone having little experience with vocoders and the like, and indeed little experience recording vocals in general, how good will something like this sound at the end of the day? Or rather, how effective will it be at sounding natural?

I can certainly hear the electronic-y pitch correction in pop music; but I assume there are other types of automated vocal correction that I don't hear, and I would guess the technology is relatively advanced. This Frontman claims to be even bigger stride forward, if I'm reading right. Is that the case?

Sorry to be so clueless, but the software does seem kind of nifty. :)

• Members

Hmmmm...might not be a bad gig. Would I have to relocate? Will everyone refer to me as "His Holiness"?

Mitch- I think a simple "we gravel before your throne", from every subject, a la the wart hog on "The Lion King".

Fort Wayne rules...:thu:

• Members

Blooooody 'el!!!!

Well, something seemed strange. My guard was down. Hey, I got the mag yesterday (April 22), and I did not read closely (state of the art mead notebook).

OK, I would like to go hide now....

• Members

This is priceless.

I appreciate, in that plug interface, the tacit assumption that all possibilities for a frontman's style have been done already, and that they can be narrowed down to those 10 artistes... Just dial your desired new self in ad libitum... ha-ha.

• Members

Mitch- I think a simple "we
gravel
before your throne", from every subject,
a la
the wart hog on "The Lion King".

Fort Wayne rules...
:thu:

Hey T,

No gravelling required...a simple handing over of cash will do.

I haven't forgotten I owe you lunch! Soon....

Mitch

• Members

This is priceless.

I appreciate, in that plug interface, the tacit assumption that all possibilities for a frontman's style have been done already, and that they can be narrowed down to those 10 artistes... Just dial your desired new self in
ad libitum
... ha-ha.

Virtual Frontman does allow for expansion, though we feel the selection of styles is already nearly comprehensive! And you can mix and match the 10 included frontmen in any combination and any blend - so the possibilities are endless, or, to coin a phrase, "imaginable only through your limitations."

Still, we understand that many users will want to customize the selection for their own performance and stylistic needs. From the press release:

"In the future, Frontman Add-on Machismo Expander (FAME) modules will allow the user to add the attitude and behavior of a wide range of frontmen from the Country, Blues, Folk, Opera, and instrumental light jazz genres to Virtual Frontman."

The continuing excitement over this new product has been very gratifying!

Mitch

• Members

I read about this in ProSound yesterday...

Bit question, coming from someone having little experience with vocoders and the like, and indeed little experience recording vocals in general, how good will something like this sound at the end of the day? Or rather, how effective will it be at sounding natural?

I can certainly hear the electronic-y pitch correction in pop music; but I assume there are other types of automated vocal correction that I don't hear, and I would guess the technology is relatively advanced. This Frontman claims to be even bigger stride forward, if I'm reading right. Is that the case?

Sorry to be so clueless, but the software does seem kind of nifty.
:)

After playing around with my copy for the last week or so, I can tell you that it is possible to get pretty natural results with this software. However, as with any technology of this type, it can quickly sound too machine-like if you're not careful. Overall, I'd rate it :thu::thu::thu::thu: out of five.

Archived