What is your Favorite "Root" vegetable?

halljams

• Members

Yeah, gotta be onions. I actually like turnips if they're made with lots of butter, salt, pepper and a dash of sugar.

In the 1950's, I think rutabagas were a staple of many an American table, but I'll bet you'd be hard-pressed to find many families eating them now...

My friend Bill Buckley is a well-known radio & TV personality in London, England, where he frequently covers "Food" as a topic... He says that "beet-root", for decades thought to be d

• Members

I am fond of onions. However, I think my favorite is celery root (which is actually not the root of celery.) Diced up in soups, or boiled with spuds and mashed into them..... yummy!

• Members

Halljams, are you okay? It's not like you to do forum food flooding...

That's frighteningly observant of you Craig, i thought i flew a little more under the radar than that.

But it's been a long winter, and yesterday the air was warm and full of spring and the doors were open and i worked in a T-shirt... and was really hungry when i got home. I can smell it again today too. God i love this season change!

• Moderators

Potato. It is the jack of all trades. And the master of all it attempts. Snack? Potato chips. Fattening side? Mashed. Peel them or don't. Healthy side? Roasted. Manly side to compliment a great steak? Bake that bastard. Does your gravy need thickening? Don't toss out your potato water after boiling. Walk on the dark side? Fries.

Plus, they make fun toys!!! The potato. Friend to you and me.

• Members

Potato. It is the jack of all trades. And the master of all it attempts. Snack? Potato chips. Fattening side? Mashed. Peel them or don't. Healthy side? Roasted. Manly side to compliment a great steak? Bake that bastard. Does your gravy need thickening? Don't toss out your potato water after boiling.

Well, yes, of course, although recent studies suggest--still tentatively--that potatoes might be part rodent.

• Members

Potato. It is the jack of all trades. And the master of all it attempts. Snack? Potato chips. Fattening side? Mashed. Peel them or don't. Healthy side? Roasted. Manly side to compliment a great steak? Bake that bastard. Does your gravy need thickening? Don't toss out your potato water after boiling. Walk on the dark side? Fries.

I once knew a hippie who smoked weed from a potato.

• Moderators

I once knew a hippie who smoked weed from a potato.

Well there you go then! See what I mean. And they produce electricity if I recall correctly. And they absorb the salt when you add to much to your broth. And you can make inked stamps out of them. And they repel vampires I think.

• Members

Well there you go then! See what I mean. And they produce electricity if I recall correctly. And they absorb the salt when you add to much to your broth. And you can make inked stamps out of them. And they repel vampires I think.

You're right, that is one all round root vegetable. It appears to be the King of all Tubers!

Any disputes?

• Members

How about sweet potatoes, yams, etc.?

Bake 'em.

French fry 'em (but only if eaten immediately after frying)

Boil 'em (mash 'em with cooked apples and maple syrup).

Turn 'em into pie filling (topped with a pecan/brown sugar crumble).

• Members

You're right, that is one all round root vegetable. It appears to be the King of all Tubers!

Any disputes?

Well... yeah. I prefer sweet potatoes. They're more nutritious than regular potatoes and I think they're tastier, too.

Besides sweet potatoes, I also love garlic (garlic is my life), onions, beets, carrots if they're homegrown, and Jerusalem artichokes. :)

• Members

Meet my dad,...

He had a vegetableshop fo 35 years and is a truckdriver who transports vegetables right now.

From the early 1600's my forefathers were farmers(vegetables and potatoes) and had vegetableshops,...

I used to work with my dad and his brother in the shop until I finished studying and started working as a chef.

We love every vegetable there is.

edit : No ,the one with the funny white hat is not my dad!!!

pap.jpg

• Members

awesome thread.

my initial reaction to the thread was sweet potato. If I was on a desert island and only had access to one root vegetable, I would have to go with that one. Filling/sweet/nutritious and delicious.

Of course garlic/shallot/ginger/all onion varieties, life would not be the same without these delicious treats.

Word up.

And Boosh, cool story about your dad (and with the picture, nice). We have a great vegetable store here in Brooklyn called Circus Fruit (60th and Fort Hamilton), probably my favorite store in NYC (even ahead of Guitar Center or Sam Ash)....

Archived