Charlton Heston - RIP.

• Members

I enjoyed El Cid when I was 9 or 10. And I thought he was pretty good in Omega Man...

But... he almost makes up for all the outside-the-movies crap with his performance in the magnificent Touch of Evil. It's not that he's the greatest actor ever in it but he does a really solid job in a great movie.

RIP, Mr Heston.

• Members

And then Mike Meyers is just stunned - yeah, that was classic. :phil:

No one's mentioned Ben-Hur yet - that's one of my favorites.

Watched that one a few times, a couple times catching it partway in on tv.

Always loved when he comes back - as a roman - to the shock of Messala.

Please note that I didn't mention his NRA presidency; I wanted to focus on his movies and acting - his art - and avoid the political aspects of his life. Craig likes us to keep away from politics for the most part on this forum. :) But if you're going to "go there", it should also be mentioned that he marched for civil rights in the 1960's... :)

No life is perfect and completely without controversy... or at least very very few are.

• Members

Please note that I didn't mention his NRA presidency; I wanted to focus on his movies and acting - his art - and avoid the political aspects of his life. Craig likes us to keep away from politics for the most part on this forum.
:)
But if you're going to "go there", it should also be mentioned that he marched for civil rights in the 1960's...
:)

No life is perfect and completely without controversy... or at least very very few are.

Yup- and "Bowling for Columbine" notwithstanding (he had already lost some of his reasoning power to Parkinson's by then), he could fully articulate his reasons for those beliefs.

What a great actor- I just saw "Khartoum" on the treadmill last month- killer...

Maybe I'll break out my old videotape version of "Ben-Hur" for a family movie tonight.

• Moderators

I like some of the more B Movie type stuff he did in the 70's. Big budget but still B movie like in their approach. Omega Man and Soylent Green. Even Apes had that quality about it. He absolutely carried those movies. His scale was so big that Ben Hur and 10 Commandments seemed about right. Then you put him in the Omega Man and his presence would just clobber you.

I couldn't help noticing how they keep playing the "Cold Dead Hands" NRA speech. Pretty tacky of our "News".

• Members

I know you wanted to focus on his acting, and not the political, but these two pictures speak volumes about the man -

heston.jpg

"With the conservative activism of his later years, let us not forget that Mr. Heston had been active in the civil rights movement. The first photo above was taken in 1961... when Heston walked a picket line outside a segregated movie theater in Oklahoma. He also attended the March on Washington in 1963, famously photographed alongside Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte."

• Members

Enjoyed some of his movies. Respected him the most for his pro gun stance.

Rip!
:cry:

Yep me too. And his pro Second Amendment views were perfectly in line with his lifelong advocacy of individual rights

• Members

I know you wanted to focus on his acting, and not the political, but these two pictures speak volumes about the man -

heston.jpg

"With the conservative activism of his later years, let us not forget that Mr. Heston had been active in the civil rights movement. The first photo above was taken in 1961... when Heston walked a picket line outside a segregated movie theater in Oklahoma. He also attended the March on Washington in 1963, famously photographed alongside Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte."

And that segregated movie theater he was picketing was showing the premier of one of his movies! That's walking the walk. He marched with MLK several times, even before most of hollywood got on board with the civil rights movement.

Archived