Adobe .PDF to .JPG/.BMP conversion

Paully

• Members

I have a PDF converter on my home PC. If you wish, send the file to me and I will see if the PDF converter will save it as a JPG or BMP file.

My son has a baseball game and then we'll eat dinner, so I won't be able to try it until around 8 PM EDT.

• Members

Thanks Gator, that would be great. Unfortunately I can't attach here, as the .PDF file size is slightly to large(121K: limit=100K) and no way to shrink it in Adobe. I'm not exactly sure how get it to you unless by e-mail. My PM is switched 'on' if you care to give me a regular e-address so I could attach it. Thoughts?

Best, Paul

• Members

There's a really simple trick that may not be ideal but should work to a certain extent...

First, though, if you hate Adobe and their reader as all sensible people do, check out some of the alternatives. I use FoxIt PDF Editor (Free) for viewing PDFs and CutePDF for creating PDFs from the print utility (CutePDF shows up as a printer driver... simply select it and 'print' to it. It creates a valid PDF of whatever you printed.)

Anyhow, FoxIt has a screen capture as well as text capture built in.

But I'm pretty sure that, even using the bloated, slow-loading and intrusive Adobe Reader you can do a basic screen shot of the Adobe screen.

Obviously, if the pixel dimensions of the graphic image in the PDF are bigger than your screen can display, you'll lose some resolution.

• Members

But I'm pretty sure that, even using the bloated, slow-loading and intrusive Adobe Reader you can do a basic
screen shot
of the Adobe screen.

Thanks Blue. Do you happen to know the key combo for Windows to do a screen shot(shift>Apple>4 on Mac)? That'd make life real simple :D .

Best, Paul

• Members

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm calling off the dogs. Seems the 'print screen' button copies the image to the clipboard, which can be pasted into Paint and fudged with. Home free... I still hate Adobe though!

Best, Paul

• Members

We all hate Adobe, Paul. ;)

Especially those of us who now have a business relationship with them forced upon us (in the wake of their takeover of Macromedia's development tools).

It's had me exploring all my other options, I have to tell you. That said, I'm not sure I'm ready to invest my efforts in SilverFlashLight or whatever it is the hell that MS is trying to push as a Flash alternative. And it's clear that Adobe will do everything they can to force us developers to upgrade. (It'll be harder to get people to upgrade Dreamweaver, though, since they can't "break" media created with it like they can by changing the Flash player.)

BTW... If you hold down the Alt-key as you press PrtScrn you will get just the selected window, which can cut down on cropping in some circumstances.

• Members

Thanks Gator, but this method, although a little cumbersome, seems to work OK. I'd like to know what conversion program you use however. Good to have those things onhand. I'll still attach the file to an e-mail in case you get a chance to give it a shot with said program.

Best, Paul

• Members

Are you Adobe Acrobat Professional?

Use "Save as..." and choose "JPEG" as the File Type.

And I think you can just use the snapshot tool in Adobe Reader. Outline what you want and it will be copied to the clipboard and pasted as an image.

• Members

And I think you can just use the snapshot tool in Adobe Reader. Outline what you want and it will be copied to the clipboard and pasted as an image.

Hey mstreck,

All I know about Adobe is I download the latest version to stay ahead of the BS curve. I have Adobe 8 Reader and that's it. If some form of Acrobat's in the Reader folder then I have that also. Didn't really look.

Actually I didn't try Window's 'Save picture as' mouse option, assuming that it would reject the .PDF format as Paint and Picture It! did. Might be faster than the 'print screen' button. I'll try it later. BTW, I tried the Adobe 'snapshot' button and it did nothing apparent. Thanks for the response.

Best, Paul

• Moderators

This is the correct answer, using the FREE Acrobat Reader. :thu:

And don't be hating Adobe, they changed and continue to change the world in every aspect of media. Acrobat is sheer brilliance, the "MP3 of documents," high quality documents reduced in size to make them portable by web and email.

Terry D.

• Members

Just an update that I have PDF Converter Professional. It will not save as anything other than a document file (MS Word, Wordperfect, or a text file).

Saving the picture as a Word doc caused the graph to be converted into numbers, rather than stay as it was.

But for $89, PDF Converter Professional does a great job of converting Word docs into PDF files.

• Members

This is the correct answer, using the FREE Acrobat Reader.
:thu:

And don't be hating Adobe, they changed and continue to change the world in every aspect of media. Acrobat is sheer brilliance, the "MP3 of documents," high quality documents reduced in size to make them portable by web and email.

Terry D.

I find it hard to share your enthusiasm for either Acrobat or the parent company. The day I got that bloated, buggy pig off my machine was a golden ray of sunshine. FoxIt and other free readers are so much faster and trouble free, by and large. I actually stopped hating it when people sent me PDF files -- for the first time since the very first time I installed Acrobat way back in 93 or 94.

It was a black day around here when I read the news to find out Adobe was buying Macromedia and nothing that has happened since has done anything to lighten my mood on that front. In fact, they announced that my $400 upgrade fee for the old Macromedia package that at one time included Dreamweaver, Flash Pro authoring tool, Fireworks, and Illustrator is now down to just Flash and DW for my 400 smackers. What is that -- about 50% of retail -- for an update?

• Moderators

I find it hard to share your enthusiasm for either Acrobat or the parent company. The day I got that bloated, buggy pig off my machine was a golden ray of sunshine. FoxIt and other free readers are
so much faster
and trouble free, by and large. I actually
stopped hating it
when people sent me PDF files -- for the first time since the very first time I installed Acrobat way back in 93 or 94.

It was a black day around here when I read the news to find out Adobe was buying Macromedia and nothing that has happened since has done anything to lighten my mood on that front. In fact, they announced that my $400
upgrade
fee for the old Macromedia package that at one time included Dreamweaver, Flash Pro authoring tool, Fireworks, and Illustrator is now down to just Flash and DW for my 400 smackers. What is that -- about 50% of retail --
for an update?

I guess when you work at a university and get Adobe product for a song these things don't bother you so much. :o

Never mind. ;)

T.

• Members

Thanks for the try, Gator. Much appreciated.

There are 2 things in life I avoid like hell; dying and purposely using Adobe. It never seems to do what I 'need' at the moment. How hard would it have been for them to include a simple file converter in Reader(?)!! If one is indeed there, I couldn't find it.

Fact is, Adobe just happens to be the target of wrath at the moment. It could've been any app that causes headaches. Remember when Windows was a relatively simple program :D ? Now... :mad: :mad: ;)

Again, thanks all.

Best, Paul

• Members

I guess when you work at a university and get Adobe product for a song these things don't bother you so much.
:o

Never mind.
;)

T.

Hey, you're still aces in my book, Terry.

:D

On a not entirely unrelated note, Ars Technica panned Adobe's new media player: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080409-adobe-shoots-an-air-ball-with-new-media-player.html

Archived