Beastly mispronunciation from the general...

• Members

You have to remember the general has been tweaked by a lifetime of having three vowels in a row in his name. Fully 50% of the 8 letters in his name are vowels... How can one expect the poor guy to be unfazed by such a cruel fate?

• Members

Hey, it's not just the people on NPR, it's the people with NPR too.

During a pledge drive the other day, an announcer for NPR said, "I'd like to give you a
on how NPR works."

Of course, she should have said

Best,

Geoff

Wow. I always thought I was being insufferably pretentious when I made pronounced those two words differently.

I had a lot of teachers born in the first decade or two of the 20th century mispronounce the book one, according to M-W. Definitely in the minority. But primer had fallen out of popular use by then, anyway. In the 50s, around here, they seemed to like to call them readers, a la McGuffey's Reader.

• Members

Wow. I always thought I was being insufferably pretentious when I made pronounced those two words differently.

I had a
lot
of teachers born in the first decade or two of the 20th century mispronounce the book one, according to M-W. Definitely in the minority. But
primer
had fallen out of popular use by then, anyway. In the 50s, around here, they seemed to like to call them
readers
, a la
McGuffey's Reader.

If education becomes synonymous with pretension, then we're in trouble. Hey, no one pronounces everything correctly; but it couldn't hurt to try -- especially if you're a teacher! :eek:

These days, I'm working on my "U"s. For instance, the "U" in duke, tune, and Tuesday should be pronounced the same as the "U" in university; but I used to pronounce those "U"s like "Oohs" (dook, toon, and Toosday).

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Hey, no one pronounces everything correctly; but it couldn't hurt to try -- especially if you're a teacher!
:eek:

These days, I'm working on my "U"s. For instance, the "U" in duke, tune, and Tuesday should be pronounced the same as the "U" in university; but I used to pronounce those "U"s like "Oohs" (dook, toon, and Toosday).

Best,

Geoff

And good on you. You'll really be living dangerously when you start pronouncing "Wednesday" with three syllables: wed-nz-day

One of the supposed signs of the apocalypse in England is the rise of so-called "Estuary English", an accent that has been brewing for the last 30 years or so. It involves otherwise educated and/or middle-class people suddenly abandoning "Reserved English" (the Queen's posh-style accent) and taking on both some Cockney pronunciations as well as a hefty dose of American pronunciations and tendencies.

One of these Estuary abominations is pronouncing "Tuesday" not as "TYOOZ-deh" (a trochee) but rather "CHOOZ-DYE" (a spondee).

I was listening to an old R&B single yesterday, and realized that I was impressed because the girl pronounced "aren't" with two syllables: are-ent

You've been sayin' things about me, sayin' things you know that aren't true... Haven't you? Haven't you?

Not only that, she ended "aren't" with a firm, aspirated "T" sound.... and then reiterated the "T" sound on "true".

Swoon! Music to my ears! :thu:

Archived