Friend needs FREE web host

• Members

Anyone know of a decent free webhost? I built a site for a songwriter years ago and he dropped it last year. He's very ill now and his daughter wants me to put it somewhere that is free. I still have the files. Only problem is, there are quite a few song clips, mp3, on there. I don't know offhand how large it is. I doubt it's very big, actually. Space seems not much of a worry these days.

These are three that come to mind.

Geocities

Homestead

Fortunecity

I need to see if his domain is available; I bet some cyber squatter nabbed it, they always do.

• Members

If he's willing to have his music freely available for the foreseeable future, you could put the content on Internet Archive ( www.Archive.org ) and put the links on a personal networking site like MySpace or Facebook or other free sites that might not allow much in the way of hosting of media files (as we all know, MySpace compresses media stored with them to a cruelly misshapen little ball of ones and zeros. If you wanted to get fancy, you could use a player like Jeroen Wijering's Flash based media player (free for non-commercial use) with a playlist pointing back to archive.org or wherever you're hosting the content.

• Members

I'd assumed that LiveMusic knows about SoundClick, but, yeah, that's a very good solution for hosting 128 kbps Mp3s (or higher if you do their pay service). The size is restricted to 10 MB per song but there's no limit on the number of songs and they have a lot of 'personal networking' features they've added in over the last few months (and still working, looks like) that are similar to MySpace but don't take forever and three days to load or work. Really, the only downside is probably the limitation on size and bitrate on the free service. (Size restriction goes up to 40 MB/file with the pay service.)

Music.Download.com and [the re-indie-fied] Mp3.com (both owned by CNET, who bought the Mp3.com nameplate from Universal Music when Uni was having financial difficulties subsequent to their rapid Universal-Vivendi expansion and near collapse (during which they bought the formerly independent but poorly run Mp3.com and turned it around from an almost-breaking-even ad-driven venture to a complete bust). CNET paid a cool million for just the domain name, then proceeded to kick off all the indie artists who had made it what it was and repurpose it as a commercial music info portal (the place where you come to see glossy, high-bandwidth, slow-loading ads fro Mariah Carey Greatest Hits records). After that turned into the bummer anyone with half a brain could have figured it to be, they re-repurposed it back to indie downloads. They are SUCH losers. (I have one song there, just for the hell of it. Six years ago I had 30 some songs there and was getting up to a couple hundred DLs a day.) Anyhow, Music.Download allows -- strike that -- requires 192 kbps media. Don't know about Mp3.com, it's still so poorly run I couldn't get the answer to that question, even after logging in to my admin. (There is a 100 MB limit, though, and it does look like the one song I have up on Mp3.com is 192.)

Archived