....borrowed a camera from wallmart.....

halljams

• Members

Tell me more about the camera.
;)

wallmart aren't nearly as evil as people think. They have this great thing where if you need a wide angle canon for example, you go in, put it on your credit card and use it for a few days, then take it back.

No charge!

I dunno, it seems like a good deal to me.

• CMS Author

wallmart aren't nearly as evil as people think. They have this great thing where if you need a wide angle canon for example, you go in, put it on your credit card and use it for a few days, then take it back.

No charge!

I haven't been into a Wal-Mart recently. Are they carrying high grade condenser mics now? If so, you could buy one, use it on a session, and take it back - no charge. Better than owning it.

I return a lot of things that I buy, including audio equipment, but it's because they turn out not to be suitable. If I want to borrow a fancy piece of gear, I'll just ask my dealer and he'll send me home with it. If I want to keep it, I can buy it. If not, I can bring it back.

• Members

I'm still waiting for the weekend when I'm driving and slow to check out a yard sale and see a menagerie like this propped up against an old laundry basket with a $10-takes-them-all price tag.

A man can dream...

You forgot the supermodels in lingerie handing out free beer, and the '59 sunburst Les Paul Standard collecting dust in the corner for which you generously throw in an extra $20.

• Members

Mmm... fine microphones are a great beauty to behold. They just sit there, heavy and gleaming, all full of potential... ready to record something beautiful for you...

(But I guess after the $$$$$ layout for these beauts there was no dosh left over for a camera?)

• Members

No charge!

I dunno, it seems like a good deal to me.

I have a friend-- a former heroin addict and Hell's Angels biker--- who now negotiates his entire life with WAL-MART doing exactly this sort of thing. He's the master at it!

When I worked at NORDSTROM, all of us were always agog at the high society ladies who would come in and buy a very expensive and fashionable cocktail dress on Friday...

....then return it on Monday, saying it didn't fit. Meanwhile, the dress now reeks of sweat, cigarettes and perfume, the creases stretched out-of-shape.... :rolleyes:

• Members

(But I guess after the $$$$$ layout for these beauts there was no dosh left over for a camera?)

The money of course is no small issue, but the thing people don't realize is the time and effort required to acquire nice quiet, well working mikes with good capsules and tubes and no bad mods etc etc. The time it takes to get a repair done on these is around 6 months, maybe 3 or 4 people in North America are trustworthy and they take the longest.

There is a whole underground of crooks and assholes just waiting to take you for a ride in any little way possible so you have to educate yourself and inevitably take some chances with some pretty big bucks.

I can read people pretty well so it kept me out of trouble, but i did get lucky in a few cases as well. And i met some people i wish i never met.

Point, it has been no small undertaking acquiring these mikes, they are worth much more to me than the going market price and i got a good deal on almost all of them relatively, they all work flawlessly at this point, one of the heads on my SM2 is being used as a test for a "gold" not nickel capsule re-skin, so it didn't make the pics.

Archived