iTunes &&*%*$&%*((!!!

Jimbroni

• Members

Hey I got a storage drive on my PC and moved my iTunes folder to it. Changed the directory in iTunes and all looked well, but then I realized like a majority of my music is no longer organized by album or artist its just unknown. Then itunes actually reorganized the directories so that my files aren't saved in the directory structure they were before. They got moved to this unknown directory. I have a good number of them saved on a network drive in the original structure. So I can try copying again. But how do get itunes to remember the album names and reorg everything. I can turn off the let itunes organize stuff option and it will not redo my file structure, but still how I can get itunes to recognize album names and artist without reloading all my cd's. Most of these just loaded and CddB did everything, now it just acts as if it has no clue. I was looking into tagging software but I don't know. Anybody?

• Members

Hey I got a storage drive on my PC and moved my iTunes folder to it.

So did I!

Changed the directory in iTunes and all looked well, but then I realized like a majority of my music is no longer organized by album or artist its just unknown.

Familiar with this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your iTunes music folder contains a folder for the actual music files (organized by artist), a folder for artwork if you have any, and the xml file with your database.

After moving the directory to a new drive, what you need to do is hold down the option key while launching iTunes, and then select the iTunes folder in its new location. iTunes takes a minute to rebuild the directory and you should be good to go.

NB: I'm on Mac, not PC, YMMV.

• Members

Geeky, but might be exactly what you are looking for..
here

In the past, i have nuke the XML file, and iTunes then acts like it is a fresh install, and re-loads everything based on what it finds on the drives..

That article was way over my head. :o

Deleting the XML files seems like a good idea. I'll try that.

Archived