Record Store Day - April 19th

dahkter

• Moderators

In 1980, Lou's Records opened in the north San Diego town of Encinitas. My town. This wasn't a "Wherehouse" or a "Licorice Pizza" or whatever else chain was out there at the time. This was a guy named Lou. And he had records. And he had knowledge.

http://www.lousrecords.com/

"So Lou... what's with this guy named Prince? What do you think?"

Lou: On the surface it sounds very run of the mill modern R & B but he's got something special." Then he'd throw the vinyl on the turntable and show you.

"So Lou... I dug the last DK's album. How's this Rotting Veg's new one?"

Lou: It kills. Then he'd throw the vinyl on the turntable and show you.

I found so much great music there. He moved to bigger location and grew. He's now housed in 2 buildings where one is dedicated to used CDs and vinyl. He's really Amoeba south. I'm lucky in that I live 2 blocks away. Who needs iTunes or Best Buy?

A few years back I had a conversation with Lou. I was big eyed, telling him how cool it was to download tunes from iTunes. He listened to my over the top "new world" rant then retorted finally, "And where does that leave guys like me? Where does it leave guys that like full fidelity? Where's the interaction of music lovers. Someone to tell you... 'Good choice. That new one's awesome'. Where's that?"

Lou's Records will have a full day of entertainment this Saturday with guys from Pinback, The Dragons, Flogging Molly and Louis XIV. I'll be there.

Long live the record store!

• Members

Boosh - hop a ride on Jules Verne's Nautilus, hang a right at the statue of Liberty, park underneath the Manhattan Bridge.

Lee - well said, I have a similar life history of great record store experiences. At work, so can't expound right now. Definitely a magical place, glad to see it recognized.

• Members

Boosh - hop a ride on Jules Verne's Nautilus, hang a right at the statue of Liberty, park underneath the Manhattan Bridge.

So in fact you're saying :

Booshy,..You reaching Brooklyn-NY is Science Fiction?

Watch Out DAHK! one day I'll play the Apollo and Madison Square Garden.

• Members

I think I'd like to pre-order
BOOSH!! Live at the Apollo
. Where do

I pay?

Hmm,...If I get all the guys from the old band together I'm sure we'll make a statement in the Apollo. 5 white assed Dutch Crackers funking and hiphoppin harder than Cypress Hill,George Clinton, Funkadelic and Grand master Flash Comined,....

• Members

So in fact you're saying :

Booshy,..You reaching Brooklyn-NY is Science Fiction?

Just saying that the Nautilus would be a more comfortable ride than the bus as long as you don't encounter any giant squids...

On the serious note, I think you should definitely come over here at some point, preferably in the summer. The euro is very strong right now, after you have your plane ticket, a week with the family would be cheap. Keep me advised, I can be a good concierge for you guys, and I know that alot of the NY area forumites would love to have a welcome Boosh and family dinner, see what you can do...

• Members

That is very nice of you man! But,..... If I ever get enough $$$ to get to your Godforsaken country there's only 2 places I need to go in my lifetime,.....

One is in Florida,....One is in Tennessee,....

Right now the $ is very cheap for us but,...I have to make choices in this life and spending my money on flighttickets instead of fixing or roof,..nuh,..can't do ;-)

• Members

BTW,... I met Guz Lozada once here at the airport and we spend a few hours. I took My wife Rizzo and little Skipper and that was cool. I also had spent almost a full day with Kendrix(he's from Rochester NY) here in Amsterdam. We had a Thai lunch,...went to the van Gogh museum and we had an Indian Dinner. That was a fun day!!! I'll never forget those two days!

Sometimes I see a lot of forumites as an extended family. Some I've known for years,...very very cool!

A little story,.....

10 years ago I met this guy on the net. David,..a musician from the UK. I've been talking to him ever since,... We've videoconferenced,... we teamed up,..wrote songs together. He was there when I left my girlfriend who I lived with for 4 years. He was there when I met Rizzo,..he called me at my wedding,...he was there when Skipper was born. But,........ I have never ever even shook his hand. He's 500 miles away in the UK but a weekend UK costs me $500 which I just can't afford.

Man,.. How I wish that somewhere in the next 5 years I can get a boattrip and sneak up on him while he's sitting in his own garden. I'd sneak up and say : " so you Brit,.....here I am,..now kiss me,...."

I'm glad I met people from all over the world on the internet and I dream about meeting them everyday but I know it just isn't possible to hug everyone in reallife,... Unless I make it to one of Phil's O'Keefe BBQs one day,... I'll strike a bunch of flies in one swing,.... Jeff,Ken,Daklander, maybe Anderton etc etc,.. that would be awesome,.....showing up at their yearly bbq. Or at NAMM,....they're all there also.

I missed Lee Flier when she was here,....that was not nice but maybe one day she'll come back.

• Members

A pass-time of growing popularity around here:

Everyone brings 6 or 8 LPs and some beer/booze/whatever. The LPs are played in rotation (no pun intended) while the B/B/W is consumed by all.

The start of a new trend? Who knows. But there is sure some great stuff around that isn't available on CD, or if it is, sounds MUCH better without the normal Squash-the-hell-out-of-everything remastering practices used today.

Archived