USB 2.0 MIDI keyboard w/ audio interface

pbognar

• Members

I know there is a dedicated computer hardware forum, but I think I'm more likely to get an answer here:

There are products like the Line6 KB37 and Novation X Station which combine a small MIDI keyboard/controller with audio interface functionality - but they are both only USB 1.1

Anyone know of a similar available product which operates at USB 2.0 bandwidth?

Or do you suppose the major vendors are waiting for USB 3.0 to be adopted?

Yes, I know about the M-Audio Ozonic which uses Firewire, but there is such inconsistency with Firewire, ie. if you don't have the Texas Instruments version of Firewire, you're screwed.

Even if I were looking at the Ozonic, strangely, it isn't listed as a product on the M-Audio site - hmmm.....

Any help would be appreciated.

Ozonic has been discontinued. The new line are the SONO series, but still, both are USB 1.1.

I do not know anything about any manufacturer doing a USB 2.0 product like that and I do not think they are waiting for USB 3 -yet-.

Now... why would you need USB 2.0 ? to get more I/O?

• Members

Ozonic has been discontinued. The new line are the
SONO
series, but still, both are USB 1.1.

I do not know anything about any manufacturer doing a USB 2.0 product like that and I do not think they are waiting for USB 3 -yet-.

Now... why would you need USB 2.0 ? to get more I/O?

Yes - more bandwidth for audio - I'd probably only record one audio track at a time, being a home user, but still, I'm worried about audio throughput.

I just think it would be nice to have a device like this which I can move from computer to computer. I'm thinking of selling my MIDI keyboards to finance a new computer, and use softsynths instead.

I was looking at the KB37, but because you responded so quickly, I'll take a look at the Sono ;)

Thanks

• Members

I just got a Toneport KB37. I didn't even realize it was usb 1.1 but I wasn't concerned about that because I really just wanted it for some "easy chair" keyboard recording so my woman won't complain that I'm spending to much time downstairs with my "real" recording gear.

I'm thinking though that if I do want to use it for a little audio recording; usb1.1 won't really be limiting for a single mono input, right?

• Members

I just got a Toneport KB37. I didn't even realize it was usb 1.1 but I wasn't concerned about that because I really just wanted it for some "easy chair" keyboard recording so my woman won't complain that I'm spending to much time downstairs with my "real" recording gear.

I'm thinking though that if I do want to use it for a little audio recording; usb1.1 won't really be limiting for a single mono input, right?

It would seem that it's working ok for Craig - he used it to review Acoustica Mixcraft 4 if Keyboard. I'm hoping that it can handle recording one audio track at a time while listening to pre-recorded tracks.

I'm looking for a nice "easy chair" device just as you mentioned - that and a laptop, and you could do stuff anywhere.

• Members

USB 1.1 has plenty of bandwidth for, as Gus points out, four tracks of audio at 44.1/48kHz. 96 is more problematic, but you should be able to record stereo. MIDI requires much less bandwidth than audio, and the KB37 works fine. The latency caused by MIDI being a serial protocol is far more limiting than USB 1.1's bandwidth.

The KB37 has served me very well and continues to do so. It's just so damn convenient, and the GearBox software is definitely added value. And the price is right :)

• Members

USB 1.1 has plenty of bandwidth for, as Gus points out, four tracks of audio at 44.1/48kHz. 96 is more problematic, but you should be able to record stereo. MIDI requires much less bandwidth than audio, and the KB37 works fine. The latency caused by MIDI being a serial protocol is far more limiting than USB 1.1's bandwidth.

The KB37 has served me very well and continues to do so. It's just so damn convenient, and the GearBox software is definitely added value. And the price is right
:)

Yeah.... the price is right - I just checked at Musician's Friend and they are down to $199 :eek:

I have this feeling:

a) They aren't selling well

b) They are making room for the KB37 Mach II based on UX8 technology, USB 2.0 support, and all amp models from the POD X3 (along with the new talent plug-in) :idea:

• Members

Actually when I was checking them out there weren't many 37 key models available, lots of 25 and lots of 49. In fact the only other one I can remember looking at was the Novation model.

The Toneport won out because the Novation cost more than what I wanted to pay and, as Craig said, the Gearbox (POD style) software may also come in handy for me.

Archived