1932 Martin 0-18 Full history, with audio. What can I expect to get for it?

• Members

Wow - just my 2 cents, but considering the history & supporting stuff you have with the guitar, I wouldn't have put it on ebay. I'd probably find an auction house or something that would be interested in handling the whole package. That is, of course, if I sold it at all.

• Members

Yah... if that's the real thing* then I think your asking price is too low. For sure.

FWIW, I was at a then-new GF's apartment and she said she played a little guitar. I said, oh, is it around here? And she said yes. She brought out a little Martin 0018 (IIRC) made in 1927 (we checked the numbers later). A sweet, sweet little guitar (even 30 years ago).

She sheepishly admitted that, though she'd had the guitar since she was about 14, it was only the last year or two that she realized it was valuable. It had been left behind by a deadbeat tennant in one of her dad's apartment houses. She'd loaned it to her sister when sis went away to college in Humbolt, CA. Sis took it to a local luthier because she couldn't get it to stay in tune and he 'helpfully' removed all that nasty old Martin hardware and put on a bunch of crap. She still couldn't get it to stay in tune so it languished until I found it in GF's closet. That was a long time ago, of course.

I hope to heaven someone is playing that sweet old guitar now.

*[and I've seen fakes -- including one up on the "vintage wall" at the Guitar Center in Fountain Valley, CA, which I called them on... 'my' salesman assured me it was 'genuine' and when I pointed out the hardware wasn't right and the scroll looked fishy and a couple other things the manager came over and admitted they weren't 'certifying' it as real -- only that it was presented to them as the real thing :mad: ]

Archived