Yamaha 01V96v2 being dicontinued?

amplayer

Coincidentally, I had a Yamaha rep over at my place this weekend, and he happened to mention that. Yes, the 01V96 V2 (which is what I use) is being discontinued... and being replaced by a new version of the 01V96... IIRC, the primary difference is that the new board will have the "add on" effects bundled with it, instead of being extra cost optional purchases as it was with the 01V96 V2.

I have no idea if there's going to be any cosmetic differences or other improvements, any change in the MSRP or any idea of when the new board will start shipping - sorry. :o

• Members

By the way, do you use it with a MY16-mlan card, or do you run ADAT into another box and then into your computer, or something else?

Yes, the 01V96 V2 (which is what I use) is being discontinued... and being replaced by a new version of the 01V96... IIRC

I have a couple of cards - a AD24 card and a mLAN card. I only use the mLAN card now. It's connected to a i88X, a 01X and my PC. I use a Pro Tools HD Accel system, with two 96 I/O units. ADAT to / from one goes to / from the Yamaha 01V96, and the other one has input coming from my second computer's Frontier Design Wavecenter card (it's my "softsynth / Gigastudio" PC).

So I have 24 channels of output from PT going into the 01V96, 16 channels of lightpipe going into the HD systems (8 from the Yamaha, 8 from the Wavecenter), and the extra 8 channels go over to hardware effects processors and then back into PT. The 01X is cascaded with the 01V96, and is used as a submixer for hardware keyboard & sound module units.

• CMS Author

You know, I hate it when a manufacturer is keeping quiet about obsoleting a product. I'm sure glad I checked before buying this time. Clearly, right now is a poor time to buy one of these.

It's not good business to advertise that you're going to discontinue a product, so that's why they don't. But it may be a very good time to buy one if there are some blowout deals available. Consider how much the present version won't do for you. If you really think that the new version will be significantly better for your application,m then wait. But if you'll be happy with what the current version does, watch for a deal on it.

Just because it's discontinued in sales doesn't mean that it's discontinued in support. You'll be able to get it fixed for a while yet, but don't expect to get it upgraded or updated other than with the addition of new cards. Fortunately, Yamaha seems to have settled on a format for plug-in I/O cards that carries across their full console line, so if you need more inputs, you can probably still get a new card for an older console.

Yamaha is better about this than, say TASCAM. When they discontinue a digital console, it's dead, Jim.

• Members

Very good points. Thanks.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, nobody is selling the current version any cheaper than before. Therein lies the rub.

I know it isn't good business to cannibalize your own sales by announcing a discontinued product, but it sure makes people angry if they pay full price only to find out that a newer and better product is coming out very soon and is the same price or maybe even cheaper.

By the way, Apple is the king of this transgression IMHO. I have learned the hard way that one should NEVER buy anything from Apple at any time other than immediately after that product has been released.

It's not good business to advertise that you're going to discontinue a product, so that's why they don't. But it may be a very good time to buy one if there are some blowout deals available. Consider how much the present version
won't
do for you. If you really think that the new version will be significantly better for your application,m then wait. But if you'll be happy with what the current version does, watch for a deal on it.

Just because it's discontinued in sales doesn't mean that it's discontinued in support. You'll be able to get it fixed for a while yet, but don't expect to get it upgraded or updated other than with the addition of new cards. Fortunately, Yamaha seems to have settled on a format for plug-in I/O cards that carries across their full console line, so if you need more inputs, you can probably still get a new card for an older console.

Yamaha is better about this than, say TASCAM. When they discontinue a digital console, it's dead, Jim.

• Members

Thanks. Hmm. So it seems the head amps and A/D converters are more than good enough by themselves. Since you are on PT HD, I'm curious why you chose Yamaha over Digi converters/head amps.

I have a couple of cards - a AD24 card and a mLAN card. I only use the mLAN card now. It's connected to a i88X, a 01X and my PC. I use a Pro Tools HD Accel system, with two 96 I/O units. ADAT to / from one goes to / from the Yamaha 01V96, and the other one has input coming from my second computer's Frontier Design Wavecenter card (it's my "softsynth / Gigastudio" PC).

So I have 24 channels of output from PT going into the 01V96, 16 channels of lightpipe going into the HD systems (8 from the Yamaha, 8 from the Wavecenter), and the extra 8 channels go over to hardware effects processors and then back into PT. The 01X is cascaded with the 01V96, and is used as a submixer for hardware keyboard & sound module units.

Thanks. Hmm. So it seems the head amps and A/D converters are more than good enough by themselves. Since you are on PT HD, I'm curious why you chose Yamaha over Digi converters/head amps.

I didn't - I use both. :)

My outboard mike preamps (Neve, Vintech, API, FMR, etc.) go directly into line inputs on the PT HD boxes. My Yamaha 01V96 board preamps go to the HD interfaces via lightpipe. I use all of the above. And yes, the converters in the 01V96 are pretty darned good IMO. :)

• Members

I called Yamaha technical support and got the scoop:

The new 01V96VCM is just the 01V96v2 with a promotional package of 2 VCM plugin bundles they provide with it: Channel Strip(AE011) and Reverb(AE031).

If you buy a 01V96v2 right now, the 2 VCM plugins should be included on a disk. In case it isn't, it can be acquired for free by faxing your invoice to Yamaha tech support.

This is one of the few mixers I know of that can easily be integrated into my DAW (via a MY16-mLAN card), and can also easily be used for live sound.

Bottom Line: I'm getting one! :thu:

Archived