Reverse 'Sucking' Vocal Effect

philw44

• Members

God, I can't get past the suckiness of the song long enough to listen for the sucking vocal effect of which you speak.

I had that too until I remembered my first Chef,..he told me,..although cheese makes you vomit and herring gives you the {censored}s,.. you have to taste it to see if it's good enough to serve your guests. He called it Tasting Technically.

I had a co-worker in our kitchen who tasted fish every day and swallowed it. He could tell if a dish which contained fish was seasoned enough and ready to serve but he didn't eat fish himself,.. he hated it and it made him sick. Still he managed to taste every dish we made without even blinking.

It's just my job,..I'm a cook,.. that's what he always said.

I have the same with music. I only used to listen to music I like until I wanted to know more about certain stuff production wise.

• Members

I had that too until I remembered my first Chef,..he told me,..although cheese makes you vomit and herring gives you the {censored}s,.. you have to taste it to see if it's good enough to serve your guests. He called it Tasting Technically.

I had a co-worker in our kitchen who tasted fish every day and swallowed it. He could tell if a dish which contained fish was seasoned enough and ready to serve but he didn't eat fish himself,.. he hated it and it made him sick. Still he managed to taste every dish we made without even blinking.

It's just my job,..I'm a cook,.. that's what he always said.

I have the same with music. I only used to listen to music I like until I wanted to know more about certain stuff production wise.

[bold added]

And heaven help me -- that is one real good reason I'm a database/web dev guy today instead of recording other people's music. (Also, I realized I not only enjoyed it a lot more [than working on other people's music], I realized I could charge more for it. Everybody wins.)

• Members

Because they've been playing it in the "Kidz Bop" ads that run on Disney and Nickelodeon every five minutes.

Ahh... I hadn't noticed that, but I'm sure thats where she got it. I have to admit I like the Monster band, and Dan Zane's House Party.

• Moderators

On the hook, "Hey... hey... you... you", it sounds like they've taken another take of her singing the hook, one separate from the lead you hear in the forefront. Then they...

Reverse the bit that you want to suck (uhhhh...yeah), apply reverb, un-reverse it. Voila, sucking vocals.

...but used a pretty tight verb. That secondary vocal is bandpassed as well. Mostly the highs are gone but some of the lows as well. Then they placed the climax of the procedure described by yermej above on the 8th note preceding the lead vocal as a pre echo. It's heard most clearly in the intro in the 2nd hit. Not the "hey, hey", but the "you, you". The lead's "you" lands on the 3 and the following 8th, "you, you". The effected "you" swells into the 8th note preceding, giving the the effect of "yo-you, you".

Archived