finally ...LINUX and XP running 100% on this laptop

• Members

This version of linux is the Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron" that just came out a few days ago. It took a long time to download because the servers are overworked.

The major difference with this version is that you can install Linux on a NTFS partition without re-partitioning. It is also easier to remove. No need to FIXMBR (fix master boot record on boot partition) after you get rid of it.

It took a few hours to fix 100% . The sound worked "out of the box" but I needed to download an nvidia driver for proper video. Then NDSWRAPPER the wireless , but not with a command line in the terminal. I used a GUI program , pointed it to the proper *.inf file and after the next boot wireless was there. I'm not sure how to turn on the built in camera, but I would rather have my privacy.

Dan

• Members

This version of linux is the Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron" that just came out a few days ago. It took a long time to download because the servers are overworked.

The major difference with this version is that you can install Linux on a NTFS partition without re-partitioning. It is also easier to remove. No need to FIXMBR (fix master boot record on boot partition) after you get rid of it.

It took a few hours to fix 100% . The sound worked "out of the box" but I needed to download an nvidia driver for proper video. Then NDSWRAPPER the wireless , but not with a command line in the terminal. I used a GUI program , pointed it to the proper *.inf file and after the next boot wireless was there. I'm not sure how to turn on the built in camera, but I would rather have my privacy.

Dan

Yeah I've got about 93% of the ubuntu studio install .iso slowly downloaded, the servers are choked.What ALSA version is compiled with 8.04?

cat /proc/asound/version if I remember right.I'm really hoping it's at least 1.0.15.

so my Emu0404 will work.I was having a bad time trying to update ALSA in 64studio so I thought I'd try this.

• Members

Sweet thanks man.I'll probably wait till to tomorrow to install.Oh you just enter the cat /proc/asound/version in a terminal and it will tell you.I like it so much I keep looking for the terminal in XP you just have to learn the syntax.

• Members

Personally, I suggest (to give perspctive, I've work for both the world's largest L10N company and the world' largest data covery company - both areas where this can be a daily concern - and OSs are lessentially apps to me)...

NOT {censored}ing around with paritioned drive spaces, logical assignments, etc -- swap trays are a fast, flat and fixed are MCUCH easier to recover, are insensitive to multi OS interactions AND are better supported in HW than ever.

while latops have some special issues (non-viablity of swap trays, etc) -- find myself treat them as such..."special issues"

• Members

Sweet thanks man.I'll probably wait till to tomorrow to install.Oh you just enter the cat /proc/asound/version in a terminal and it will tell you.I like it so much I keep looking for the terminal in XP you just have to learn the syntax.

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16.

Compiled on Apr 21 2008 for kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (SMP)

There's your info.

Dan

Archived