TurnMeUp.org

• Members

Yah, I signed up over there quite some time ago.

Squashing is a cancer on pop music.

Of course, the real problem today is that many or most of us don't necessarily listen to whole albums -- so adjusting the level once every 30 or 40 minutes isn't the issue.

It's having a properly mastered classic track followed in your ipod or on you computer by some horrid, squashed to the corners of the room "modern" mastering (like say the hideously loud new Interpol or Modest Mouse records)...

For instance... I love Modest Mouse's overall body of work. And, no doubt about it -- it's mostly mastered very loud. I have to be careful mixing it up with classic or other properly mastered tracks.

But I can't even put the new MM record in a shuffle with the old ones -- because the new one is so much louder.

But -- sadly -- that's "OK" because, honest to gosh, they managed to squash it so bad it's almost unlistenable to me.

And the newest Interpol record's even worse.

If I was MM or Interpol I'd do whatever it takes to force the labels to rerelease these albums remastered to reasonable levels. They sound like garbage. And I don't mean the band. (Although, didn't we think they were overcompressed back in the day? How "far" we've come...)

• Members

Someone turned me onto that a couple months back on an engineering forum that I frequent. It's a great idea. One person is actually giving seminars to kids about how wrong today's music is being produced in that sense, where everything is smashed. It's possible to make loud, competent masters that are a bit quieter than the loudest ones today, that are clear and breathe. It's usually the low end that suffers with those, too--bass drums--because it wreaks the most havoc with dB meters, and then people just slap brickwall limiting on everything.

• Members

Any idea how they quantify loudness? What their criteria is? RMS averaged over the tune's duration perhaps?

I don't know. There's an area of the site to get info for albums or to be certified for mastering in this regard, so I assume some specific info is available.

Archived