HALP. Recording through 1/8th inch microphone input jack.

• Members

So. I've got a 1/4th inch to 1/8th inch adapter so i can plug my guitar straight into my pc. I want to be able to use that as an input for a VST Based virtual amp such as Freeamp3. How the hell do I set the input to read off the microphone input jack? It works just fine off the windows sound recorder. But that's not an amp. That's a fender R15.

• Members

It's not the optimum way to go about it...but if you can record the guitar with sound recorder, then it's getting in there.

Freeamp is a VST plugin - which means you need some sort of VST host. This is usually a recording application of some kind (Reaper, Sonar, or Tracktion, to name but a few).

Alternatively, you can use a standalone VST host, like Chainer. Mainly, you need to have an application that will run the VST plugin - they don't do anything by themselves.

You'll probably need an ASIO driver for your sound card too - since you're just going into the PC sound input, you probably want to look at ASIO4all.

Hope that helps! :wave:

• CMS Author

So. I've got a 1/4th inch to 1/8th inch adapter so i can plug my guitar straight into my pc. I want to be able to use that as an input for a VST Based virtual amp such as Freeamp3. How the hell do I set the input to read off the microphone input jack? It works just fine off the windows sound recorder. But that's not an amp. That's a fender R15.

Do you understand that a VST-based plug-in requires a VST host program, usually a DAW?

You start up your DAW, install that plug-in on a track and tell the track to use the sound card as an input and output. Since the Windows mixer controls the input and output of the sound card, you should be able to open the Windows mixer, select Properties/Recording, and you'll see the volume slider for the mic input. There may also be a meter there, but there should be a meter in your DAW.

Your question is really quite application-specific and it's really better to have someone show you what to do on your own system. Got a knowledgeable friend who can come over for a beer?

• Members

I do have a VST Host. VSTHost, to be specific.

All I had to do was configure it to read off of my Santa Cruz midi device, that being external mic. I got it working. (If anyone has some super awesome freeware VST plug-in that actually sounds good, that would be awesome. :p I just want to record so I dont have to tab though so this will work.)

Thanks though.

• Members

I do have a VST Host. VSTHost, to be specific.

For future reference: that would be considered vital information.:cop: If you'd have said "I have VSTHost, how do I get it to see the mic input on my computer?" you could have gotten a specific answer.:idea:

If you want to browse for VST effects, including guitar amps/effects, look here:

http://www.gersic.com/plugins/index.php?daCat=-3

There's several guitar amp VSTs there.

• Members

Next time I'll be more specific. :p

heh. I can't wait to get home, I was up too late downloading vst plugins and i never actually got the chance to try them, had to get some sleep for school. typing from school right now. Once I get home, first thing I wanna do is see if that JCM800 emulator actually sounds like a JCM.

Archived