self tuning... classicals?!

• Members
:wave: I like using many different tunings on my nylon-stringed guitar. Is there such thing as a self tuning nylon-stringed (classical or flamenco) guitar?! It would change my life if there was, since I wouldn't have to bring 4 guitars with me when performing live, or waste time changing tunings every few songs. Thanks muchly!

• Members

I don't think there is....as you might already know, the nylon tuning is quite a delicate thing and the lower tensions involved would make the system much less precise. Having several guitars, perfectly balanced (different gauges can be optimal for different tunings) and ready to be played is obviously the best thing, quality wise.

• CMS Author

The Tonical {?) guy has been telling me for a couple of years now that the self-tuning system for acoustic guitars was on its way but I suspect that it may be more difficult than he expected, both because of the extra hardware and the difficulty in getting a reasonably noise-free string pitch signal.

Time to get yourself a guitar technician and roadie, or change your performance sets so you don't need four guitars. I probably know 30 banjo tunings but only use one banjo. ;)

Self-tuning would be nice. When I got a copy of Peterson's StroboSoft tuner program, I was enthusiastic that I could store tunings and recall them, but it was really more useful as a memory aid than a tuning aid.

Archived