Anyone know the origins of "3 chords and the truth"?

• Members

I think the phrase "three chords and the truth" has been around for a while. A cursory google suggests that it has asscociations with U2, Hank Williams, and a modern country artists named Sara Evans (who doesn't look very truth to me;)

It certainly sounds like it describes the blues...

I always thought it was associated with The Clash as well.

Anyone?

• Members

I dunno.... somehow when I think of
the music of the spheres
, it ain't George Thorogood or any other 3-chord wonder.

???

I hope my question wasn't construed as aesthetic preference...I was looking to allude to this famous phrase in the lyric of a song with far more than three chords, and some nifty secondary dominants and modulations....

• Members

I didn't take it as your preference. But I decided to comment on the 'truth' of the phrase anyway :D

???

I hope my question wasn't construed as aesthetic preference...I was looking to allude to this famous phrase in the lyric of a song with far more than three chords, and some nifty secondary dominants and modulations....

• Members

Music appreciation and Theory were things I can trace back in my High School Daze. Alot of your 3 chord stuff came from Ireland and England.

They were the earley setlers in the US. If you read up on earley folk music you'll find the roots to most modern music come from our earley culture influx and mixing of cultures.

Archived