Why do I have to download a separate codec...

• Members

...when I have an install disc in my hand?

I just upgraded to Peak LE 6, and in order to export audio from Peak to mp3, I need to download a separate extension package.

:confused:

I have an install disc for Peak here in my hand. They couldn't drop the mp3 codec on there?

The same issue occurred with Digital Performer. In order to export audio as mp3, I need to go and download a codec and install it as a plug in/extension.

I have an install disc with room available!

• Members

It's not funny games. It's just that Fraunhofer-Thomson assert a broad range of rights against the Mp3 format and it makes big publishers nervous. Some have included links to the LAME (LAME Ain't an Mp3 Encoder) encoder, which Fraunhofer claims has a cloud over it, as I understand it. Rather than mess with Fraunhofer-Thomson, who know their way around licensing technology, a lot of publishers just treat the whole thing at arm's length. At least that's my take on it.

• Members

Hey! Why don't we all get together and decide to use Ogg Vorbis and FLAC, both of which are totally license- and royalty-free?

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it's the only thing that ever has. "

Margaret Mead

"Anything one does is likely to be unimportant; but it is of the utmost importance that one does it."

Mohandas Gandhi

• Members

It's not that they treat it at arm's length. It's a little more practical than that. They would need to purchase individual licenses for EACH DISC THEY MANUFACTURE, and it would get expensive fast, eating into profit margins.

Since not everyone in the world is going to use the codec, they still make it available, but they save money by only paying for the licenses that are actually downloaded.

See? Simple business. By the way, my consulting fee for this information is $1500. You can send me a check, money order, or pay me in copious amounts of weed.

• Members

Hey! Why don't we all get together and decide to use Ogg Vorbis and FLAC, both of which are totally license- and royalty-free?

First we have to convince the manufacturers of playback equipment to support those formats so that the people who want to hear our music can do so without jumping through a bunch of hoops.

• Members

Because then we might have better-sounding file compression. How dare you suggest such a thing. The men in black will be at your door shortly. :cop:

Archived