New NIN album -for free!!

• Members

Yeah, great for Trent who just sold a million through Tunecore and kept all the profit, great for Trent who just made $7 million last month, seriously, I'm a big trent fan.

But it sets a bad example that all artists are just supposed to give their music away now.

• Members
Yeah, great for Trent who just sold a million through Tunecore and kept all the profit, great for Trent who just made $7 million last month, seriously, I'm a big trent fan.

But it sets a bad example that all artists are just supposed to give their music away now.

I would be surprised if Trent gave a {censored} about that. He was always a little rich kid. His grandfather was a space heater tycoon. He was probably set for life at age 15. We used to play in the same clubs around Cleveland in the 1980s and he was always equipped with the biggest, shiniest, megabuck synthesizers on the block. :mad:

• Members

Worse than that, why buy it, because why be one of the patsies who coughs up the dough so that others later can get a free ride?

Actually it's the reverse, it's available for free download now, but will be available for purchase on physical media later on.

On the site he said it was a way to thank his fans for their support. I don't think he plans on releasing all his albums for free from this point on but who knows...

• Members

You can get the multitracks too and do your own remixes. Pretty cool!

this guy is smart. moves like this make you love him more, we are hooked!

...and it's normally the first hit thats for free...either way, anyone not hooked will be now! :thu:

• Members

It would have been nice if he said something like "Thanks for the support, here's my free album, blah blah, but don't take this to mean that filesharing doesn't hurt smaller up and coming artists, I can afford to give my music away for free."

• Members

I came, I heard, I deleted. not my personal preference for sound to listen to on purpose. ....maybe during a secret government MKUltra reprogramming session, but not normally for me

• Members

I would be surprised if Trent gave a {censored} about that. He was always a little rich kid. His grandfather was a space heater tycoon.

I always thought it was funny that the huge heater hanging from the ceiling at work had the same name as Trent. Huh! Now I know!

As for the album, I made it through the first track, although I heard "Ghosts" is slightly better. We'll see. Still, it's great to get things for free, but as many posters here suggest, if it's not good it will be forgotten.

• Members

It would have been nice if he said something like "Thanks for the support, here's my free album, blah blah, but don't take this to mean that filesharing doesn't hurt smaller up and coming artists, I can afford to give my music away for free."

Y'know, here we go again. :rolleyes: Why do people regard free music and filesharing as an either/or proposition across all potential market dynamics? Let's think about this.

Do you buy "this year's style" Ralph Lauren shirts at full price from Neiman Marcus? Or do you buy "last year's style" of Ralph Lauren shirts at a discount chain? My point is that different price points serve different purposes.

Remember the "free" Prince album that came with the Sunday paper in London last year? Prince was already paid for that as part of a marketing deal, and the newspaper probably sold more copies than usual because of the tie-in. Win/Win.

The enemies are obscurity and apathy. First people must be aware of your music, and then they must care about hearing it. If your music is good you will get paid whether that payment comes from selling discs or downloads, or from concert tickets, or from licensing fees for putting your song in the next James Bond movie.

Even established artists like Prince and NIN are using the tools at their disposal to stay in the zone where people are aware of their (new) music, and where those people are excited about the music. Trent Reznor isn't making any new money from you listening to the copy of Pretty Hate Machine that you bought 20 years ago. But he stands to make some new money when you pay attention to what he's doing today and might go to a show, or keep a look out for the next project he tackles.

• Members

Y'know, here we go again.
:rolleyes:
Why do people regard free music and filesharing as an either/or proposition across all potential market dynamics?

That is a good post. It seems there's a little bit of sour grapes, plus a general reluctance to change. I remember getting a copy of "Musicology" at Prince's show a couple of years ago. It's really good!

And I listened to the rest of "The Slip." I would have been satisfied had I bought the CD, so there you go. ;) It does not compare to the cassette of "Pretty Hate Machine, but it's hard to avoid being proprietary, even from the standpoint of nostalgia.

• Moderators

I came, I heard, I deleted. not my personal preference for sound to listen to on purpose. ....maybe during a secret government MKUltra reprogramming session, but not normally for me

Same.

As it happened, I had some younger folk at my studio last night who are more likely to enjoy that type of music, they also didn't like it. They revenged themselves on me by insisting I listen to something they chose.

Anyone here like "Daft Punk?" Anyone ever heard of them? I feel old. :o

Daft Punk > NIN though, I'd have to say.

Terry D.

P.S. Have to add one more bit of "sage" wisdom I've learned playing live over the years: people will pay almost ANY amount of money for something they really like, they'll balk at paying even a dollar for something they don't.

• Members

Y'know, here we go again.
:rolleyes:
Why do people regard free music and filesharing as an either/or proposition across all potential market dynamics? Let's think about this.

Do you buy "this year's style" Ralph Lauren shirts at full price from Neiman Marcus? Or do you buy "last year's style" of Ralph Lauren shirts at a discount chain? My point is that different price points serve different purposes.

Yeah... it's silly. It's like people freaking out because there's so much free software out there. The existence of lots of high quality free software hasn't resulted in Microsoft, Digidesign, Waves et al going out of business.

• Members

i listened. i like. i keep. not as immediately profound as year zero, but still quite great.

i dont get it. the recording quality is superb. the degradation of sound was very deliberate and beyond what most including myself can achieve without a great amount of work.

i've listened three times through. the first time i didnt like it, but the second and third it got good. trent is pretty scary talented within his medium, perhaps so much so that he is able to transcend most listeners (?)

thats my honest opinion.

Archived