I'll tell you what I have, what I want to do... and you tell me...

• Moderators

what i need to do it, as cheap as possible. :)

I have a Line 6 Toneport KB37, with Tracktion as my DAW. It has worked fine for me to record solo projects. However, I am in the process of putting together a band and when the time comes, we will want some kind of demo. Nothing fancy, of course. What will I need to run into my PC (Firewire, USB) so I can record multiple tracks at once into tracktion and monitor them?

Basically, I would like to record the bass direct, and mic a drum kit, and I could just play a rough guitar track direct, to give them an idea of where we are at. All three of us would need to listen to what is going on.

Once that is done I could scratch my track and re-record it with a mic'd amp. The singer could then do his thing, etc. I don't have the set up for an entire band to play at once and record it live, but I do want to be able to mic/use a real drum kit.

I am a bit of a home recording novice. The song "Pillows" on my myspace link in my sig was all done on this system. If you listen, ignore my cruddy singing. :p

• Members

You should check out the current crop of FireWire preamps and interfaces. If you want individual tracks for each drum, get something with enough preamp channels to handle them all, with a couple of additional inputs for triggers if you use those. There are so many products on the market that will fit your needs that it'd take quite a while to outline them all, so you might want to just check some of the online retailers or flip through a catalog and see what fits your budget.

I keep putting off my own purchase since one of my bandmates has a Pro Tools LE setup that does what we need for now, but I'd probably buy an M-Audio NRV-10 if I wanted to do what you're describing on a budget. Phonic and Alesis make FireWire mixers for even less, but the NRV-10 has some added features and is Pro Tools M-Powered compatible if that is ever a consideration for you.

• Moderators

You should check out the current crop of FireWire preamps and interfaces. If you want individual tracks for each drum, get something with enough preamp channels to handle them all, with a couple of additional inputs for triggers if you use those. There are so many products on the market that will fit your needs that it'd take quite a while to outline them all, so you might want to just check some of the online retailers or flip through a catalog and see what fits your budget.

I keep putting off my own purchase since one of my bandmates has a Pro Tools LE setup that does what we need for now, but I'd probably buy an M-Audio NRV-10 if I wanted to do what you're describing on a budget. Phonic and Alesis make FireWire mixers for even less, but the NRV-10 has some added features and is Pro Tools M-Powered compatible if that is ever a consideration for you.

Does it only work with pro-tools or is that just an option? I appreciate you responding. I don't even know what I want is called. Is it a mixer I am need of then? :)

Archived