I.D. this vintage mic, please...?

• Members

Here is a still from the excellent movie INFAMOUS, about Truman Capote and how he came to write IN COLD BLOOD.

Gwyneth Paltrow plays a nightclub singer in 1959 Manhattan.... sort of a Patti Page or Julie London type.

Can you identify the mic in this photo? Other than just plain looking kewl, what were the special virtues and/or limitations of this mic? How much would a real vintage one of these-- in good working order-- fetch nowadays?

• CMS Author

Can you identify the mic in this photo? Other than just plain looking kewl, what were the special virtues and/or limitations of this mic?

It's a Shure 55, colloquially known as "the Elvis mic" since The King was often pictured with one, like on his postage stamp . I have a couple that were given to me. I made a hat rack out of them. That's KEWL!

They don't sound very good by today's standards. I thought Shure still had version in their catalog but I couldn't find it.

• Members

They were still making them about 15 years ago. Shure 55SH. I bought one back then for the singer in my band because she thought they looked so cool.

The mic sucked. It was a dynamic with horrible presence, sound and gain. Just couldn't make the thing sound good on stage or anywhere else.

We tried taking it apart and retrofitting a condensor capsule in there, but that failed miserably (but then again, we had no idea what we were doing - and there wasn't much of an internet to lead us through it...)

• Moderators

Not a good-sounding mic, the Shure 55. Really muffled, bad sensitivity. I mean, it looked cool, so there's that. If you want to make a movie and use it as a prop, go for it!

I disagree, depending.

There is a band I'll be producing this summer. The Saltlickers. Great name eh? Anyway, the singer uses an original 55. His voice is a cross between the mannerisms of Muddy Waters and the timbre of Al Jolson. I kid you not. It's an old timey, cool and fun sound. When he plugs his 55 into their modern Mackie club PA, you are transformed to another time. For the longest time I tried to convince him to just use a 58 for God's sake. He tried it and it sounded like a bar band. Know what I mean?

I will at least give his 55 a shot in the studio. Perhaps record it in parallel with something more full ranged.

• Members

Oh, I understand 100%. EVERY SINGLE MIC has a purpose, in my opinion. If you're going for a specific sound, like that old-timey "period" sound for music or film production, that Shure 55 might be great.

My point, if you haven't heard the mic before, is not to expect much in terms of sensitivity, frequency response, or transparency. If you want that sound, then go for it. :)

• Members

When this design was new, was there something functional or purposeful about that metal "cage/capsule-shaped" design?

No, it's just an industrial design that reflected the sensibilities of the era. Look at other items from when it was built: car grilles, and so on.

Archived