No Reply

GY

• Members

Great tune. "No Reply" and "I'll Be Back" are rarely mentioned among the best of Lennon & McCartney's output but they are two of my favorites.

There is a demo of "No Reply" on one of the Anthology CDs that is quite a hoot. I think the boys were singing it in the style of Tommy Quickly as they were thinking of pitching it to him.

• Members

My band has covered it. Awesome tune. :phil: :phil: :phil:

Excellent tune

I'l see your three Phils, Lee, and raise you the Official SSS Synchronised Waving Team (props to F-Holes)

:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

• Members

Great tune. "No Reply" and "I'll Be Back" are rarely mentioned among the best of Lennon & McCartney's output but they are two of my favorites.

A Hard Day's Night is pure pefection, IMO.

It always irks me when it doesn't get listed in a Beatles "top five albums" comment.

• Members

Never covered "No Reply" but my old band did The Beatles "Ahnold ze guffahnatah" song. (I'll Be Back). Geez...it was harmony festival time on a lot of those tunes. We also covered "Nowhere Man" and "Paperback Writer". Kinda funny because I read that even the Beatles didn't like performing "Paperback" live, because of the tricky harmonies. I guess they released it just before they quit touring in '66.

• Members

Kinda funny because I read that even the Beatles didn't like performing "Paperback" live, because of the tricky harmonies. I guess they released it just before they quit touring in '66.

Must have been tough to do with all that screaming from the audience and no monitors. I think I saw a good performance of it on the Japan '66 DVD though.

• Members

A Hard Day's Night
is pure pefection, IMO.

It's great, just great. As a small kid I loved "A Hard Day's Night", "I Should've Known Better".... but my favorite on that album was "Tell Me Why". I still dig it. :phil::phil::phil:

I didn't understand till many years later that George Martin had done those very chic orchestral versions of "A Hard Day's Night" and "And I Love Her".

• Members

- NO REPLY -

JOHN 1972: "I remember (Beatles music publisher) Dick James coming up to me after we did this one and saying, 'You're getting better now-- that was a complete story.' Apparently, before that, he thought my songs wandered off."

JOHN 1980: "That's my song. That's the one where Dick James the publisher said, 'That's the first complete song you've written that resloves itself,' you know, with a complete story. It was sort of my version of 'Silhouettes.' (sings) 'Silhouettes, silhouettes, silhouettes...' I had that image of walking down the street and seeing her silhouetted in the window and not answering the phone, although I never called a girl on the phone in my life. Because phones weren't part of the English child's life."

PAUL circa-1994: "We wrote 'No Reply' together but from a strong original idea of his. I think he pretty much had that one, but as usual, if he didn't have a third verse and the middle-eight, then he'd play it to me pretty much formed. Then we'd shove a bit in the middle or I'd throw in an idea."

• Members

It's great to read the replies. Moments before I posted, I had turned on a portable radio by this Internet computer and No Reply immediately started on the FM station. Despite the countless times I've heard this song, it never ceases to amaze. Apparently many others feel the same way.

• Members

Originally John Lennon had intended to sing the higher harmony part of the chorus, as this was the original melody. However, his voice had deteriorated due to excessive use and Paul McCartney had to take this part, relegating Lennon to the lower harmony line.

Lennon said he got the influence for this song from "Silhouettes," a hit for a group known as the Rays in 1957. Twenty years later, many people used parts of this song for their answering machine messages. It was recorded on September 30, 1964.

Archived