Did you ever play "Musical Chairs" ?

• Members

As a youngster, did you ever play the parlor game called "Musical Chairs"?

Several chairs are placed in the center of the room, arranged either circularly, backs together, or in a phalanx. There is a chair provided for each child participating... that is, minus one. If eleven kids are playing, then ten chairs are arranged in the cluster.

A teacher or other adult, off to one side, is controlling a turntable, usually spinning an upbeat dance record; she instructs the kids that, so long as the music is playing, they must continue to skip or dance in a wide circle around the cluster of chairs. When she lifts the tone-arm from the record, the needle comes up, the music stops, and the kids are to scramble, as quickly as possible, to find the nearest chair and sit in it, making it "their own". Naturally, given the ratio of chairs to child, all kids will be able to sit down, with the exception of one, who, finding him/herself chairless, is called "out" and retired from play. Kids called "out" will observe the continuing game from the sidelines.

Then a chair is removed from the center cluster of chairs, the music resumes, and the game proceeds, until only one kid manages to score the last remaining chair, and is declared the winner of the game.

Depending on the circumstances and the season in which the game is played, a single prize may be awarded to the winner; or perhaps all the kids will be declared "winners" and will receive prizes deemed to be of equal value.

Did you ever play this?

Do kids still play this?

Is it a game known all over the world (the UK, Australia, Europe, Mexico, the Philippines, etc., as well as the USA?)

What does this game reward, necessarily, and what messages did it subconsciously instill in the kids playing it?

Do you ever use the phrase "musical chairs" nowadays in a metaphorical sense?

:confused:

• Moderators

Did you ever play this?

There are none better than I.

Do kids still play this?

As recent as my kids last birthday

Is it a game known all over the world (the UK, Australia, Europe, Mexico, the Philippines, etc., as well as the USA?)

Don't know. Though my limey wife just said yeah to the UK.

What does this game reward, necessarily, and what messages did it subconsciously instill in the kids playing it?

It rewards self preservation. It says; if you leave your goods unprotected, be it a job, a girlfriend/wife, a plate of beans and a hot dog at a picnic, if you leave your stuff unprotected, be ready to kick ass if necessary to get it back. Survival of the fittest at its most basic. Somebody's going down and it ain't me. You are my enemy till we're sitting again.

Do you ever use the phrase "musical chairs" nowadays in a metaphorical sense?

More and more everyday as the next and next and next round of layoffs occur at work.

Why?

• Members

Somebody's going down and it ain't me. You are my enemy till we're sitting again.

I hate that. I felt the same way about Around the World with flashcards. I HATED that game. Mostly, because I sucked at it. Damn near anyone could beat me. In a world of survival of the fittest, it sucks not being the fittest. I should have just clobbered any kid who beat me when it was my turn; "Who gets to move to the next desk NOW, math wiz???"

:D Sorry, I'm really bitter about my formative years at school. I swear to god I was supposed to turn out better than this. :D

• Members

Musical Chairs is excellent.

I played it a few time in my early years, and then again during college with a group of wasted people. I was the cue man. It's great with the technics turntable, you press that stop button and it makes a great sound, like "vvwwoohssshhh".

• Members

Haven't played it in years, but yeah, it was a great game for birthday parties and recognition parties. We actually used to have a teacher that would have the entire class participate during fun time activities. What was the reward??? We didn't have to do homework in class and we had a blast doing it. I was never the last one standing, but I was good with the spelling B's and math quizzes. It made up for the lack of "motor skills" when I was a kid.

• Members

Musical Chairs is excellent.

I played it a few time in my early years, and then again during college with a group of wasted people. I was the cue man. It's great with the technics turntable, you press that stop button and it makes a great sound, like "vvwwoohssshhh".

:D:thu:

Archived