XP SP3 available for download.

• Members

They obviously haven't dropped XP with this update.

I haven't dropped XP without SP3. If it weren't for some flags in some current installers for my DAW apps and possibly quad core support, I'd still be using a stripped down 2K. SP3 was promised long before Vista was announced so I really don't take this as a sign that their extending XP. Good to see it anyway, wether I need it or not. Hopefully DAW app manufacturers will extend their support as well long into the life of VISTA and hopefully beyond.

• Members

You're also nuts if you install it on your main PC without waiting for the fallout.

NEVER
EVER INSTALL AN UPGRADE UNTIL YOU SEE THE CONSEQUENCES. JUST WAIT.

There are already reports of computers not booting or locking in a constant reboot.

Excellent advice. I've heard about the constant reboot thing. I think I'll wait a month or two myself.Or not bother till I see software that demands XP SP3.

• Members

You're also nuts if you install it on your main PC without waiting for the fallout.

NEVER

There are already reports of computers not booting or locking in a constant reboot.

I installed it or a beta of it a few months ago and had to remove it. Certain hardware didn't work.

Dan

Word. :)

At least use a new / different HDD or use something like Norton Ghost if you're going to be on the cutting / bleeding edge. No need to mess with a functioning system without taking precautions.

• Members

NEVER

It will not upgrade my laptop. Fortunately it did not screw anything up. It did, however work fine on my wife's PC. Her's is not really all that big a deal because we dual boot to PCLOS as the main OS on her computer and WinXP is used for a couple of programs there is no substitute for at this time and we're not yet ready to go virtual on it.

The laptop on the other hand, would have been catastrophic in some ways, though not unrecoverable, the time spent would have been a huge PIA.

• Members

here's the problem you may face.

XP SP3 cripples some PCs with endless reboots

Friday, 09 May 2008

Only AMD systems affected, says former Microsoft security manager

Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 sends some PCs into an endless series of reboots, according to posts to a Microsoft support forum.

Jesper Johansson, a former program manager for security policy at Microsoft Corp. and a prominent Windows blogger, has worked with users to tentatively identify the problem as involving only machines using processors from Advanced Micro Devices Inc.

Messages from frustrated users began accumulating on the XP SP3 support newsgroup Wednesday, just a day after Microsoft released the update to the general public.

"I just installed Windows XP SP3 and after completing the processes and when the system reboots, the system cannot proceed to load the Windows," said a user identified as "Olin" in a message that kicked off a long thread. "It just displays the flash screen of Windows then after it reboots again."

Most users who left messages on the forum said that they were unable to boot into Windows Safe mode

Archived