Singers and microphone control...

Ani

• Members

Another thread lead me to some Elvis videos on YouTube. I couldn't help but notice his excellent micing ability. THIS skill beats the heck out of any compression known to man.... it's called, "doing it right from the start" while having the "singer" monitor his distance from the mic while backing off during hot peaks.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

You're absolutely right. He sings some of this with his eyes closed, and you can see he's listening to himself-- one hallmark of a great singer-- sort of testing the "hotness" and characteristics of the mic in his hand.

He goes up for that climactic high-G on the end, and I do believe this was the phase in which they started bringing in a tenor behind the curtain whom they could fade up to hit the notes that E had problems with...the audience hopefully none-the-wiser.

Poor Elvis! He still looks really good here, although he's already into his "Hawaii/Vegas" incarnation... I'd place this video at----what?--- 1970 or '71? It wouldn't be long before he started hitting the depressants that would kill him.

• Members

At about 1:52 into the video, he places the mic at variable distances from his mouth until about 2:20 to keep from peaking out. Then he pulls the mic back in close for the softer melody again. In studying the video a bit, I also noticed that he switched hands on the mic just prior to the peak points. Again at about 3:20 into the video, he begins distancing the mic at hot points. Just prior to that chorus, again he switched hands with the mic. His miking technique just popped out at me when I watched the video for the first time.... Great control!!! Minimal to no fixing it in the mix with talent like that.

Don't know about the step in behind the curtain bit, but Elvis was always a classic act. Even when he started slipping, while having to use lead sheets to remember the words, he could still belt out the songs. IMO.

• Members

This is what we mean, Ani, when we say "working the mic". Nearly all really good singers work the mic in their own way. Some are better at it than others.

;) I've been working the mic for years, but thought it might be good to post a visual for some of the younger forumites that still ask the "how to" questions. I think that I may have even covered the topic a few times while over at MP during thread participation over there. Another great artist that does this is Barbara Streisand.

• Members

Knowing how to control the mic is definitely a sign of an experienced singer. However, sometimes I find it annoying when a singer over-works the mic, and is so conscious of it, that they keep pulling it closer and further, closer and further, like a fast attack compressor, for every single phrase. It can become like an affectation and distracting. Sometimes I want to tell a singer who's overworking the mic just to shut up and sing!

• Members

I tend to back off the mic, not only during hot peaks, but just a tad bit whenever singing words tail-ending with an S. If I'm too close to the mic when closing with an S, the S doesn't always come out crisp and clear. I hope I'm not one that works the mic "too much"

Archived