What wiped out my extended drives??

• Members

Ouch. :mad:

Today, something inexplicably-- and in the space of only seconds--- totally wiped out, erased totally, my three extended drives. :confused:

I'm on VISTA x64, and had partitioned my hard-drive into a C DRIVE containing my OS.... then had created three subsequent logical drives D, E and F.

Now I have to do a little investigative work and figure out what did this... A virus? a trojan? :confused:

Can I change my permissions such that only I (administrator) can access my drives?

Thanks, ras :thu:

• Members

...and may I add that, after I submitted this first post above, this bug went ahead and fully erased my C: OS drive as well. Leaving my computer completely blank and formatted clean. :cry::mad::cry::mad::confused:

I had to fully re-install VISTA x64. Now it's D/L'ing all the copious updates due it. Quelle pain in the keester.

All I can say is, VISTA has one helluva vulnerability for a bug to come along and do that so thoroughly, so quickly.

• Members

All I can say is, VISTA has one helluva vulnerability for a bug to come along and do
that
so thoroughly, so quickly.

Yes. Before Vista your BIOS used to examine the partition table and decide which partition (which OS) to boot from.

Now, Vista forces your BIOS to boot into Microsoft

• Members

Jon, I would've thought so, too, except that my Windows Explorer showed there was
absolutely no content on any of the disks! Zippo, zilch.

Okay. Now I see what you mean. Nevermind.

this thing/bug/virus deleted my
C: DRIVE
which contained the
OS
itself!

I bet it just hid the files from you. I bet the files were still there.

Once upon a time I had a (still do) Sony Viao running Windows Me, and it did the same thing you are describing.

So maybe this has nothing to do with Vista.

Archived