3 Reasons Not To Become A Ham Radio Operator

GY

• Members

Back in the 80s I worked for a small communications manufacturer. One of our most important lines was high powered RF amplifiers designed for use in mountain-top repeaters. (Another common use at the time -- this was just before the first cell phones came online -- was the illegal use of large RF amps to boost CB transmission signals -- which, of course, was of limited effectiveness, because CB is high enough frequency that it's more line of sight transmission; the legal limit was 5 watts but guys would stick 100 watts in their base stations or even their mobile units trying to get a few more miles of coverage -- of course, scrambling radio, TV, and portable phone reception all around them.)

Anyhow, before I left the company (I was sales director) I put in some time at a big communications trade show in Vegas and -- boy does that video take me back. The trade show was so silly... all these total bubbas walking around acting goofy -- and these were the business people -- this wasn't open to the public. And the corporate presentations and 'convention girls'... hoo boy. The conventioneers ate it up...

I came back with my drawl (I grew up in So Cal but completely surrounded by mid-westerners) so thick you could cut it wiff a noff.

• Moderators

It brings Comic Con to mind. I've never been much of a clique type guy but a nerd clique is even scarier. I joke to my wife that yes, I am indeed a nerd. I read like there's no tomorrow. I have a book in every room of my home that I'm working through. In my car too. Wife my agrees. yes, she says, you are a nerd.

And then I watch that video and I realize nerd is such a relative term.

• Members

excerpted

Back in the 80s I worked for a small communications manufacturer.

Anyhow, before I left the company (I was sales director) I put in some time at a big communications trade show in Vegas and -- boy does that video take me back. The trade show was
so silly...
all these
total bubbas
walking around acting goofy -- and these were the
business people
-- this wasn't open to the public. And the corporate presentations and 'convention girls'... hoo boy. The
conventioneers
ate it up...

I came back with my drawl (I grew up in So Cal but completely surrounded by mid-westerners) so thick you could cut it
wiff a noff

now, as I recall, the largest CB radio distributor was located in Des Moines...

...am I right so far?

Archived