Cell phone speaker frequency range?

Rabid

• Members

I'm getting ready to make some ring tones for myself and my friends. I might even give a CD of them to friends as part of their Christmas presents. To insure that they sound good on phone I plan to compose and record them within a narrow frequency band that replicates the audio coming from the speaker of a cell phone.

What frequency range should I use? Should I limit highs as well as lows?

• Members

I would say 500hz to 5000hz.

To elaborate, I recently did a project that involved recording voice messages from a cell phone speaker into my DAW.

When looking at the Spectrum Analyzer, I found that there were virtually no frequencies below 500 or above 5000.

Your case is different though, you want to make music that sounds good on a cell phone. I would run a hpf and lpf across the mixbuss, and make sure that your mids and hi mids sound good, since this is what most people will be hearing. You may also want to shelf some of the low frequencies since those will not be heard.

Thank you,

Jason

• Members

I would say 500hz to 5000hz.

To elaborate, I recently did a project that involved recording voice messages from a cell phone speaker into my DAW.

When looking at the Spectrum Analyzer, I found that there were virtually no frequencies below 500 or above 5000.

Your case is different though, you want to make music that sounds good on a cell phone. I would run a hpf and lpf across the mixbuss, and make sure that your mids and hi mids sound good, since this is what most people will be hearing. You may also want to shelf some of the low frequencies since those will not be heard.

Thank you,

Jason

Thanks Jason. That is what I plan to do, shelf the low frequencies.

• Moderators

300 to 4k to be exact (EX Smartphone audio engineer)

Which raises an interesting question. I know the bandwidth of the tel lines is 300 to 3k. Are you saying the bandwidth of the playback of audio through the phones speaker is still 300-4k? Meaning, playing back a file that isn't restricted by the tel bandwidth, the playback is still 300 to 4k. It sounds right, just looking for verification.

Archived