Dress Code

Rhythm Junky

• Members

Wow, that's a tough one. Seems like any pair of blue jeans should work. How nice do you all want to look? Maybe a dark sports jacket over some white slacks?

Now that you bring up this topic, I've been thinking that we should have a dress code here at the SSS, but that's another topic.

• Members

The leader of the band wants to implement a dress code for performances. How should we dress if we play songs by Chicago, Steely Dan, The Beatles, and other songs from the '60's and '70's?

I recommend spending some qual time with something like WKRP in Cincinatti or a similar 'hip' 70s TV show. Feathered hair, tight, low-rise flared bell bottom pants, polyester flowered shirt open to mid-chest.

That's how fans of those bands dressed, for the most part. I was there.

[EDIT: and looking up from this post, I can tell that great minds think more or less alike... although I have to say that Ras' Pierre Cardin Nehru coats sound way too mid-60s rico-trendy for the common fan. But it might be a real sharp look on stage.]

• Members

It's been said that over the course of the show's eleven seasons that his trousers appeared to progressively consume the veteran character actor like some slo mo horrorshow creature. (I'm thinking Steven King could probably make a big fat best selling supermarket novel out of a pair of haunted men's slacks. If he hasn't already.)

PS... I know from my brief sojourn with the Esquire guidebook, "What Every Young Man Should Know," that gentlemen always dress left. But I can't tell you why, for the life of me. I also knew to hang a tie over the door kob of my bedroom when I was entertaining my first (ahem) serious GF in my first apartment that I shared with a roommate. Since I had my own bedroom, I'm not sure what I thought I was accomplishing -- and I imagine it was especially amusing at the height of the hippie era -- when I wouldn't have been caught dead wearing a tie.

• Members

And get some platform shoes, too!

mens-fashion-70s.jpg

My wife thought I`d look good in these so she bought me a pair about 10 years ago. Considering I`m 6`3" already, I was getting dizzy with a 2" heel...

and I wasn`t feeling sexy.:facepalm:

Wore them several times and then threw them out when she forgot about them. Shes still looking for them in my closet...:lol:

• Members

Look to
where
you are playing, not
what
you are playing.

Look at this band's front page.
Same songs, just depends if they play at a bar or a wedding or a corporate event.

:::looking at song list:::

There's the usual song title and artist errors...Blues Brothers, Commitments, wha...? "Motown Artists???" They make no distinction between the Temps and the Tops?

:::looking at band photo:::

I already know what they sound like without having heard them. :wave:

• Members

:::
looking at song list

There's the usual song title and artist errors...Blues Brothers, Commitments, wha...? "Motown Artists???" They make no distinction between the Temps and the Tops?

looking at band photo

I already know what they sound like without having heard them.
:wave:

Yah... I'm a senior citizen... and I'd be reluctant to hire these guys. Maybe, though, it's because I hate crap like the Blues Brothers, Sha Na Na, and that ilk, and when some band then repackages the repackagers... it's like, I don't think so...

• Members

looking at song list

looking at band photo

I already know what they sound like without having heard them.
:wave:

I think that's the idea :-|

• Members

When I had my horn band, we took a cue from Lyle Lovett and wore suits even in clubs. Mostly because we played uptown blues with a jazz feel to it, and every other blues band in town were either Stevie Ray Vaughanabees or "the real deal" (in their minds) who basically played 4 songs all night and looked like they just got done working on the Harley.

I'm not saying wear suits. I'm just saying look at what everyone else is doing and do something else. It paid off for us.

It was funny, too- after about three years, we started seeing more bands dressing sharp.

• Moderators

Were legs longer in the 70's?

I remember trying on dress pants when I was in high school and thinking WTF???? There was an extra 3 or 4 inches at the bottom of the legs. The clerk informed me those were for platfoms. I was into to Earth Shoes, the exact opposite. Ain't gonna work.

• Members

I remember trying on dress pants when I was in high school and thinking WTF???? There was an extra 3 or 4 inches at the bottom of the legs.

Not to mention those fashion abortions also have hi-rider waistlines that go above their bellybuttons. That adds another three to four inches to the overall pant length.

Also...it's probably not exactly correct to call that a "seventies" look, judging from the shirts and haircuts, I'd say that was right around 1970. They don't have the big butterfly collars or fuzzy sideburns, like they would a couple of years, later.

Archived