Interesting Experience, Life without TV

rjt

• Members

Well, my TV blew a bulb and won't be fixed until Sat. I had the option of getting it fixed sooner, but declined.... wanted to experience life on the "TV less" side. So far, it has been interesting, wrote a bit of music everyday, did some work on photographs every day and read more at night than usual. On the downside, I missed some Football (I'm an addict) and kind of miss my History and Learning Channel. Oh yeah, I also watch the NFL network every morning eating breakfast....soooooo. Oddly, the mornings are the hardest. I really miss the old tube when I first wake up and drink my coffee or tea. I am thrilled with the extra productivity on photos and songs though....and am racing through "Pillars of the Earth" plus a couple of technical books about photography and software. It is definitely a "different" experience.

As an aside, although I am not at all religious, I give up "things" at Lent (for the last 8-10 years) to see what I can learn. I always give up ETOH and have also given up deserts, snacks, cheese, pizza, food on Tuesday etc. It is always an enriching experience. It seems I learn something every time.

While it is not a unique situation, it certainly is "interesting" without the Boob tube!! My guess is that there are a few "TV less" folks out there.... and some who would really miss it!

• Members

spent a good deal of the 90s that way (it just wasn't part of the subculture I was in)

It really was nice - one weird thing was getting near a set in, say, a bar was weird b/c the bright colored lights would kind of tweak your attention just from being so visually active (I mean you wouldn't be watching "she show", but the lights would catch your eye)

• Members

...and NBA playoff games...

I'm not a snob about TV. I enjoy watching it. But I'm busy, find other things more immediately compelling, don't often think about watching TV, and am busy. The computer allows me to flit back and forth between things, checking in on the forum or email for 5-10 minutes, and then going to do something else again. Right now, I'm doing analog-to-digital transfers (Akai MG1214)...so I'm making money while posting!!! :D:D

• Members

Like Ken, I have a TV but hardly ever watch it. Lately I've been watching C-SPAN to get the congressional hearings and press conferences on the bailout and such. But in general, I'm really out of touch with what's on TV - I haven't watched any show regularly for years, so I rarely know what people are talking about when they discuss some particular show. I've watched the Daily Show and Colbert Report now and then, and South Park. That's about it. If my TV died, I might not even realize it for a week. :lol:

• Members

I am going to buy a used TV from my friend next month. It's an LG 42" flat-screen. The price was too good to pass up, and my ancient CRT TV is starting to do bizarre things and break down. So maybe I'll rent some more movies or some such thing. I do really enjoy watching movies, I just don't get around to doing that very much.

• Members

Netflix only. Once in a while we'll catch something on PBS.

No cable. Don't bother with "TV News".

TV bad for you, imho.

Lots of reading, quite a bit of NPR while doing other things (cooking, cleaning, etc). Music the rest of the time.

Good on you!

C.

• Moderators

Well... I've got an 11 year old girl. TV is a means of seeing more Zack Effron and his ilk. To counteract this however, she is an avid reader. So I let her check out her Disney Channel stuff and get her fix. I'll do Jeopardy to get my fix. The wife will see her Law and Order or whatever crime show she's digging... and we will read while the other watches their program. We hang in the same room but dig our respective interests. We talk a lot.

Maybe the wife surfs the laptop in between. When we go to bed, it's the History Channel if it's interesting, or a book. Then lights out.

• Members

I rarely watch TV, and when I do, it's Comedy Central (South Park, Scrubs and Futurama reruns, The Colbert Report and Daily Show here and there) or FX for some of their originals like The Shield or Nip/Tuck. If those were the only two cable channels I had, that'd be just fine. We have a NetFlix subscription, but my wife handles that, so I maybe pick two movies per month that I actually care about. For me, it's all about interaction, whether it be on forums or the rare computer RPG that I can buy and play for 100+ hours over the course of several months. Life requires a pause button, so I need things that I can set down and come back to later.

I try to spend a fair amount of time writing and refining songs, playing guitar, and reading when I can stay awake enough to enjoy it. I just bought my first home at this time last year, so free time has been a bit sparse compared to when I was renting.

• Members

Well, my TV blew a bulb and won't be fixed until Sat.

You only have one tv? Holy cow. We had our house wired for a tv in every room, but I don't like a tv in the bedrooms even though we let our daughter put one in hers. We even have a flat screen tv mounted on a wall in the master bath. I love movies, I love 1080P and have started a collection of blue ray dvd's. Iron man is next on my buy list. Oh yea, tv. Great way to unwind before bed. Love it.

• Members

Interesting. As stated (not because I think they are bad, just no interest on my part) I don't watch much "regular" TV... Football, History and Discovery Channel. I do miss them.... again this morning, getting out of bed, without the NFL channel on, was hard. As usual, it is a serendipitous event which helped me learn something about myself (I'd say it helped me learn about life, but I always like Oscar Wilde's "It is the spectator and not life that art really mirrors.")

• Members

I don't watch much TV.

I enjoy my movies and DVD's of old shows that I watch with my kids (Speed Racer, Thunderbirds, Prisoner).

I really like Adult Swim. Stuff like Tim & Eric, or Venture Bros (see my avatar) or Xavier -renegade angel, or Boondocks...it's really just the best stuff happening. There's nothing else like it.

• Members

I have often wondered how folks here become so accomplished, and this thread has provided a partial answer. You don't watch that much TV.

My TV time is about to diminish because I'm back in school. Tonight I studied.

My wife's job is mentally demanding and she likes to go mindless for a while before bed. She also worships the weatherman and hangs on his every word.

Watching too much TV makes you type random sentences.

Blurfle sneep.

Time for bed here in the wilds of Southern Oregon...

Archived